Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Ft Hood Wheeling

1748 Views 34 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  ChinookFE
So I've been here 6 years and have been out wheeling plenty of times but almost every time I've gone we've either seen range control on the way out or in. I think I'm about to go to the Sportsmen's Center on Monday and finally get a pass for the truck even though I leave in like a month. I was just wondering if anybody had any recommended spots. I used to go out by HH but I live in Cove now and don't feel like driving longer to get to a spot than I'm actually going to spend there. I know there was a spot by Old Georgetown and Turkey Run that used to be an actual wheeling park but haven't been out there. I'm wanting to take the 1st gen and my roomie's K-5 out next weekend.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I were living in College Station. That's out by Bryan. General Sam's is also out there. But that's a 2-hour drive. When I move to Houston I'll be 15 miles from Spring Creek woohoooo!

· Registered
66 Posts
I didn't know you could get a pass to go wheeling out there, I thought that pass was only good for driving to the little fishing ponds, or is that just gonna be your cover.

They seem pretty serious about not letting people wheel out there, when I first got to Hood, I was by the PX in my 1/2T and a range control guy stopped me to ask if I knew about the fines for wheeling on post, like just becase I had a lifted truck with a winch, I was gonna go out there and tear it up. I've also had range control turn around and follow me down Elijah Rd in the back 40 while I was on the way home from work, just to make sure I wasn't wheeling.

· Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't know you could get a pass to go wheeling out there, I thought that pass was only good for driving to the little fishing ponds, or is that just gonna be your cover.

They seem pretty serious about not letting people wheel out there, when I first got to Hood, I was by the PX in my 1/2T and a range control guy stopped me to ask if I knew about the fines for wheeling on post, like just becase I had a lifted truck with a winch, I was gonna go out there and tear it up. I've also had range control turn around and follow me down Elijah Rd in the back 40 while I was on the way home from work, just to make sure I wasn't wheeling.
You're right they are pretty anal. That's why I carry fishing gear with me just in case. The pass is just for that, finding fishing and hunting spots. And yes, having a lifted truck makes it obvious that you are playing back there but oh well. Gotta pay to play ya know. It really blows because back when Ft Hood was open to the public (as if it isn't now) they had a wheeling area between the old Turkey Run and Tank Destroyer towards Old Georgetown Rd.

· Registered
66 Posts
You're right they are pretty anal. That's why I carry fishing gear with me just in case. The pass is just for that, finding fishing and hunting spots. And yes, having a lifted truck makes it obvious that you are playing back there but oh well. Gotta pay to play ya know. It really blows because back when Ft Hood was open to the public (as if it isn't now) they had a wheeling area between the old Turkey Run and Tank Destroyer towards Old Georgetown Rd.

Thats what I was thinking about carrying the fishing gear. The stuff about them stopping and talking to me or following me pisses me off because I like to think of myself as a responsible wheeler and try to Tread Lightly, but they automaticlly assume I'm back there tearing it up.

· Formerly Az2500Cummins
1,564 Posts
I live on the West side of Killeen, and I would always go down Quarry rd to do my wheeling. You could try wheelin out on West Hood, come in through the entrance behind Wal Mart, before you get inside the gate. Technically, you are not on Fort Hood, since you have not passed through an ECP.

· Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I live on the West side of Killeen, and I would always go down Quarry rd to do my wheeling. You could try wheelin out on West Hood, come in through the entrance behind Wal Mart, before you get inside the gate. Technically, you are not on Fort Hood, since you have not passed through an ECP.
Yeah, I used to go down there a bit too. Now that I live in Cove (for now) I don't like driving all the way out there when we have a ton of spots out here to go. Just don't feel like getting busted because most of the field problems are out this way. My roommate and I went behind WalMart a couple weeks ago for a quick run after work. I have heard of people getting fined out there as well. It is still Ft Hood just like everything out by Elijah and Georgetown Rd is where there are no ECPs.

· Registered
66 Posts
Your still on the Ft. Hood Reservation though, the same if you were in the training area near Cove.

· Formerly Az2500Cummins
1,564 Posts
Your still on the Ft. Hood Reservation though, the same if you were in the training area near Cove.
Dude, why didn't you just turn around and say that to me, I am 3 feet away

· Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exactly. Ft Hood owns land all the way out past the airport probably all the way to 195. A buddy of mine got ticketed out there too, luckily I wasn't with him that time. I did a leadership class out there a couple years back.

· Formerly Az2500Cummins
1,564 Posts
Sharker-have you tried talking to the guys at Texas Pro Off-road out there? I am sure they know of some local places you can go.

· Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You talking about that joint out in Lampasas? Ya know I hadn't thought of that. Oh well, I'm about to move here in a couple weeks anyway. I'll be within an hour of 2 offroad parks :party:

· Formerly Az2500Cummins
1,564 Posts
Yeah the place down 190, they have all those built jeeps with hunting racks all over em. Good group of guys, I went and dropped off a set of Dana 60's for a friend of mine at that place. They have some pretty amazing rigs.

· Formerly Az2500Cummins
1,564 Posts
You talking about that joint out in Lampasas? Ya know I hadn't thought of that. Oh well, I'm about to move here in a couple weeks anyway. I'll be within an hour of 2 offroad parks :party:
You gettin out?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.