Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time since new my truck is not getting me to work today. It got to 9* here and my fuel in my auxiliary tank froze solid. The trucks tank is also a block of solidity. I have Texas fuel. It is treated with Optilube winter dosing. It may or may not be winter fuel since our winters are so warm.
What should be done? Don’t want to add power service 911 as it is hard on the injection pump and is an emulsifier. Will the paraffin wax dissolve back into the fuel once it warms up? Or do i need to drop the tank and clean it all out? The tank is at half. The auxiliary tank is close to empty. Or can i heat up some diesel in the shop near a torpedo heater to 120/140 degrees and drop it in the tank?
This is so rare in Texas that this is the first time in 25 years i have to mess with this. Looking back to last night i wish i had simply high idled it all night. So instead of getting some hot glazed donuts this morning i will mess with this. What do our northern friends do? Should i let it sit until next week when we are back in the 60’s?

· Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
17,910 Posts
For the first time since new my truck is not getting me to work today. It got to 9* here and my fuel in my auxiliary tank froze solid. The trucks tank is also a block of solidity. I have Texas fuel. It is treated with Optilube winter dosing. It may or may not be winter fuel since our winters are so warm.
What should be done? Don’t want to add power service 911 as it is hard on the injection pump and is an emulsifier. Will the paraffin wax dissolve back into the fuel once it warms up? Or do i need to drop the tank and clean it all out? The tank is at half. The auxiliary tank is close to empty. Or can i heat up some diesel in the shop near a torpedo heater to 120/140 degrees and drop it in the tank?
This is so rare in Texas that this is the first time in 25 years i have to mess with this. Looking back to last night i wish i had simply high idled it all night. So instead of getting some hot glazed donuts this morning i will mess with this. What do our northern friends do? Should i let it sit until next week when we are back in the 60’s?
Wonder if a few gallons of #1 would assist?

· Registered
265 Posts
Wonder if a few gallons of #1 would assist?
I wonder if you can even get #1 in Texas? I feel your physical pain @Jared Herzog, it hasn't been above zero in ND for well over a week and wind chills have been -35 and colder for the duration. However, my Ram does not feel your pain... she's in an unheated garage with mostly #1 fuel in her.

· Registered
984 Posts
Very sorry to hear your truck is not starting. It got down to -8 at my house here in mo last night. My truck sits outside all the time. I have not got out to try and see it it will start yet. It's warmed up to 0 now. So I hope it will start. Lol but the only times my truck has not started when it got this cold is when I has the fass system on my 2010. My newer truck is a 2016 with all stock fuel system. But to thaw out my 2010. I stuck a 1500 watt electric heater under my truck and aimed it at my fuel tank. It took a few hours to unthaw the fuel so the truck would start..the electric heater is one of those edenpure brands. I try and get fuel from the come and go station. It was the diesel has been blended with winter power service. Well I am under a extreme temperature warning till Saturday night. So posed to get to -35 with the windchill. So I hope my truck will start. To the op I hope its a easy fix to get your truck runing again.

Reactions: Jared Herzog

· Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have only ever seen number two diesel around here. I can get kerosene at academy.
Last year at this time it was in the 80’s here.
I think i will let it sit until it warms up. Will the paraffin wax, if there is any, reabsorb into the fuel? It looks like a solid block of frozen sonic slush in the auxiliary tank.
So my plan is to wait until it warms, then heat up the fuel in my VP cans until it is very warm and dump it in.
I got my block heater going this week. It is plugged in for the first time ever. How warm should i expect the heater to get the coolant?
It is very cold here for Texas. I just walked over to my neighbors property. He had been trying to get his well going and got locked in the well house. He was not dressed for that and was cold.
One issue i may have is i volunteer to help people who have issues after storms and such. Last time it froze i had to go help get peoples pipes fixed so they could have water. One elderly lady was without water and sick on cancer treatments. My truck is basically a service truck for construction and is stuck at the moment. Its a weird feeling. It has never failed to do what is needed.

Reactions: slowmover

· Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
How damaging is this to the lift pump? Trying to start it to see if it has thawed or not. I keyed the truck on to see if my block heater heated it at all. Keyed on. Motor off. But, i should have not done that since the lift pump may be frozen.
I know i can leave it sitting. But, if i get a call where a family needs help i will need to try to go. Some of these families cant afford what plumbers will be charging this weekend so rely on a volunteer network. And, some of the people are simply too old and sick to do it themselves. This is kinda frustrating.

Reactions: slowmover

· Registered
2015 Ram 2500, Longhorn Laramie LTD, 6.7L CTD
881 Posts
I have only ever seen number two diesel around here. I can get kerosene at academy.
Last year at this time it was in the 80’s here.
I think i will let it sit until it warms up. Will the paraffin wax, if there is any, reabsorb into the fuel? It looks like a solid block of frozen sonic slush in the auxiliary tank.
So my plan is to wait until it warms, then heat up the fuel in my VP cans until it is very warm and dump it in.
I got my block heater going this week. It is plugged in for the first time ever. How warm should i expect the heater to get the coolant?
It is very cold here for Texas. I just walked over to my neighbors property. He had been trying to get his well going and got locked in the well house. He was not dressed for that and was cold.
One issue i may have is i volunteer to help people who have issues after storms and such. Last time it froze i had to go help get peoples pipes fixed so they could have water. One elderly lady was without water and sick on cancer treatments. My truck is basically a service truck for construction and is stuck at the moment. Its a weird feeling. It has never failed to do what is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The block heater will get the coolant up to about 90 to 100F ~.

Yes the parafins will redisolve into the fuel when it warms up. You can add anti-gelling fluid to help speed the process.What the wax really is, is frozen diesel (at least certain components of it). Think of ice melting back into water. Same idea.

Old school trick is to tarp in the bottom of the truck and run a diesel heater or incandescent lights.

· Registered
5,034 Posts
Dump some 911 in it or hoard up the truck and heat it with the torpedo then dose it with an anti gel or sit and wait until the fuel in the tank gets much closer to 32deg again.
Block heater? Why? Won’t help the fuel and not needed to start the truck. Not even close at above zero temps.
yesterday morning I peeked out the hotel window. -6F. Pushed the button on the key fob and watched it fire up like normal. Except my old batteries groaned about it a little bit….
If you need the truck, those are your options. Idk exactly how long 911 takes to work. Have never used it in anything but construction equipment where it was just left to do its thing until the following morning.

· Registered
5,034 Posts
It is strange that if you dosed it correctly with an anti gel that you’re having gelling issues. Maybe you got not quite enough additive. In which case you may only need to raise the fuel temp a few degrees to thaw it out.
Its a common misconception with some folks that winter fuel treatment is necessary across the board. In fact it’s only necessary in select conditions like yours where the fuel you have is not treated already for what is generally far colder than the expected low temperatures for the area.
More of a concern with OTR truckers who could reasonably fill up in a warm climate and end up in a cold climate on the same tank of fuel.

· Registered
51 Posts
How damaging is this to the lift pump? Trying to start it to see if it has thawed or not. I keyed the truck on to see if my block heater heated it at all. Keyed on. Motor off. But, i should have not done that since the lift pump may be frozen.
I know i can leave it sitting. But, if i get a call where a family needs help i will need to try to go. Some of these families cant afford what plumbers will be charging this weekend so rely on a volunteer network. And, some of the people are simply too old and sick to do it themselves. This is kinda frustrating.

Lift pump?? Thought they went "extinct" in 03 or 04?

Have an 01 2500 6th. speed with the 5th. lift pump on it. It's been on since 03 or 04. Check pressures fore and aft often.

Counting the original put 4 lift pumps on the beast in the first 2 years. Called Cummins and ask what was going on??? They were "Shocked", said I was the only one who had this problem....Phuynny thing happened, in 03 or 04 no more lift pumps.

· Red Rider
17,910 Posts
Lift pump?? Thought they went "extinct" in 03 or 04?

Have an 01 2500 6th. speed with the 5th. lift pump on it. It's been on since 03 or 04. Check pressures fore and aft often.

Counting the original put 4 lift pumps on the beast in the first 2 years. Called Cummins and ask what was going on??? They were "Shocked", said I was the only one who had this problem....Phuynny thing happened, in 03 or 04 no more lift pumps.
You have some baddddddd info.....

· Registered
265 Posts
Block heater, why not!? Starts easier, warms up quicker. Makes a huge difference below zero. I know it doesn't help the OP, but as a general rule I always plug mine in below freezing. Less idle time means I can get on the road quicker.

· Registered
51 Posts

My point was in 03 or 04 Dodge started putting fuel pumps in the tanks. No more lift pumps. Never said a word as to why, or at least I never heard anything.

Come to find out if fuel got to 1/4 tank or lower the lift pump started running hot and if tank got almost empty the lift pump would burn out, depending on it's age and mileage..or ,in some cases, the brand of pump.

Have had a Bosch pump on for several years, must be a good one.

· Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I plugged it in to see of the cord i installed would work. And, hoped it would get the heater going faster.
I added optilube in their recommended winter ratio. But, there is a good chance i have summer blended fuel in there. I am not sure we get winter fuel here and the last time i filled up everything was a couple months ago. The job we are on is close and i burn through all my stash fuel before going to fill everything back up.
I referred to the in tank pump as a lift pump.
Thank you for all the help and advice. Never dealt with frozen fuel before and want to get it going the right way.

· Red Rider
17,910 Posts
My point was in 03 or 04 Dodge started putting fuel pumps in the tanks. No more lift pumps. Never said a word as to why, or at least I never heard anything.

Come to find out if fuel got to 1/4 tank or lower the lift pump started running hot and if tank got almost empty the lift pump would burn out, depending on it's age and mileage..or ,in some cases, the brand of pump.

Have had a Bosch pump on for several years, must be a good one.
The pump I pictured in post #12 above was for a 2003. It wasn’t until mid model year 2004 that Dodge went with....guess what....in-tank lift pumps.

Any pump...whether externally mounted or in-tank....that supplies fuel to the high pressure injector pump....is considered a lift pump.

· Registered
Horns Removed, Still identify as a RAM
11,437 Posts
I’ve only heard of in tank pumps being referred to as lift pumps.
Sometimes it’s difficult to have a discussion with people across the country, as regionally people use different language. Especially in the construction field.

· On call 24/7
13,937 Posts
I’m sure my truck and my gf’s Jeep are both frozen with this crazy weather. Luckily it will be 50 again by Monday so it should be thawed out before then

· Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Well, the fuel i can see in the auxiliary tank has thawed. Its a bit cloudy but it is liquid again. Thanks again for all the help and advice given. In all the years i have been using diesels this is the first time i have had it gel up on me.
Texas is usually not this cold in my area. Tomorrow we should be above freezing. Hopefully not too many people have water pipe breaks and flooding damage that will need immediate attention. Its a good feeling to know i can leave to help if it is needed.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts