Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be dropping my front axle and would like to replace all bushing items.
Does anyone have good or bad experience with specific brands of replacement parts?

I would also like to replace my steering box, what is the recommended?

Also at the same time I will be replace my front main seal.

I'm not a guy that needs top performance, just want good quality parts.

I'm really looking forward to you responses.

Thank You,

·
Registered
146 Posts
I will recommend Moog for all of the bushings. If you go with parts store cheapies, you'll end up redoing everything in another year. Make sure to do all tie rods, drag link, sway bars/links, steering stabilizer, ball joints and maybe wheel bearings if you need them. Timken for the bearings.

I've heard mixed reviews on steering boxes. Lots of people recommending redhead or bluetop. Have read lots of disappointments with them too and to just get a NAPA box. I also need one so I'll see what others say.

Reactions: wrenchmaster

·
Registered
23,840 Posts
Good time to buy a press at harbor.

Reactions: wrenchmaster

·
Registered
23,840 Posts
Both rubber metal encased bushings and poly substitutes are available. I tried the poly on a track bar once and it lasted only about 4 months. If you put in bushings in the old control arms you need to put in a spacer between the sides of the control arm so as not to bend it.

·
Registered
23,840 Posts
They have both 20 and 12 tone units available at harbor for about 200 or less on sale. You still have to buy the proper sized kit of tools for various size bushings and bearings.
I know I would have saved a lot on control arms and track bars if I had bought one a long time ago. Also good for replacing studs and rotors on 99 style.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts