Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, the front end is clicking on a 2006 dodge 3500, it only does it in 4wd and while in reverse with the wheels turned as far as they will go right or left. It's not a constant clicking is will click then do it after the tire has almost rotated all the way around.The steer joints are greaseable and have maybe 30,000 on them, ball joints and tierod ends are new. Could it be the front drive shaft?? It sounds like its coming from the passanger side but is hard too tell. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i too would guess the outer ujoints if the sound is happening in relation to tire speed. if it was in the driveshaft it would happen 3-4 times for every revolution of the tires (depending on your gear ratio ;) )

not to say that isnt the issue, make sure to check for slop in the center ball of the double cardon joint

·
Registered
405 Posts
Well for starters, you arent supposed to tuen your wheels all the way when your in 4wd, You can break an axle.!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, well what brand of steer joints would you guys recommend? Ill get greaseable ones for sure.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had the front axle u joints replaced by Fleet Pride almost 30K miles ago. They are not greaseable and have had great luck with them so far. Cost me $70 per shaft installed.

·
Registered
658 Posts
:doh: At 70 bucks each installed ... You got a great deal !!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the front axle u joints replaced by Fleet Pride almost 30K miles ago. They are not greaseable and have had great luck with them so far. Cost me $70 per shaft installed.
I had one of mine fixed and the shop said that I was a pain. He said he wouldn't have done it if he'd known it would take that much work.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I did my own !!!
ROYAL PITA !!!!

But I am so cheap that I will prolly do them myself again next time :banghead:.

·
Registered
217 Posts
that's exactly what mine was doing when they went out. loud clicking when turning and pretty much only noticable when in 4wheeldrive. Put Spicers in there. they aren't greasable but are pretty heavy duty compared to anything else.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
not a fan of the cheap parts store brand ujoints, whether they are greasable or not...

Spicer joints all the way. Non serviceable (unless you pull them apart, at which point why not just replace them), but they sure tend to hold up great.

I believe the P# for the AAM axle outer joints is spicer#5006813

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had one of mine fixed and the shop said that I was a pain. He said he wouldn't have done it if he'd known it would take that much work.
That sucks. The one I go to has never complained about how hard they were to replace. When I had the fronts done, they did it while I waited. Took maybe 30-45 minutes.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Same thing here only it felt like I was in 4WD and turning when going straight. Joint was seized. $50 @ NAPA for a Precision which is greasable. Just did mine two weeks ago so it's too soon to tell. :party018:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.