Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a front squeek coming from my front left tire. Im sure it is a universal. Not sure if its the wheel universal or another one. Any ideas? How hard are these to replace?

· Banned
879 Posts
Make sure someone has a hub in stock.....

You'll need a hub puller and sometimes......SOMETIMES the hub comes apart pulling it off.....
I have done 6 different trucks, 2 of them had 1 hub each come apart...

After you remove the hub clean the area nicely of all rust and crap and then put on a nice stainless style never sieze so next time it almost falls off....put it all over

After you pull the hub slide axle out,remove inside clips and press in each direction till the caps come off and replace opposite , unfortunately no one to my knowledge is making that particular AAM joint in a greasable version...

· Registered
110 Posts
I've heard on here of people using a socket and a short extension on a partially threaded in hub bolt and turning the steering wheel so that the extension pushes on the steering stop and pushes the hub out from the back

· Banned
879 Posts
I've had to bend my puller and use the steering to get those hubs to pop, with a 350 ft lb gun ....

My puller is 3/4" plate and it bent on a few of them pita hubs, then i gotta use my 75 ton press to straighten it...

I don't see how a socket is doing it since if you don't push the joint past the center of pivot the steering can't act as a lever...

· Registered
110 Posts
I'm just repeating what I read on some of the forums here, Mine usually come off pretty easy since I seem to be hard on u-joints.

· Banned
879 Posts
On what ? are we talking about the same truck here... Every front AAM axled truck i have done has bent my puller, and 2 of the 6 AAM trucks which is 05 and on off which the 6 i have done are 1-05, 5-06's the 1. 05 ripped the hub apart and 1. 06 had the same results.... I always keep a hub assembly in stock.

Not the Dana axle trucks.. entirely different axle without the bs issues of needing 20 tons of force to pull them...

Also if you have the dana axle why don't you use the SPL55-4x so you can grease them.... and not change them all the time....or price the hub assembly

· Registered
702 Posts
"Anyone know how much those freewheel hub kits cost?"

In May 2007 - I paid 2,072 (including shipping & tax) for the Dynatrac stage 1 kit to my door.

PLUS since I have a Dually I needed a new adapter from Aero Craft for another $373 to my door.

Then you get to install it.

On the positive side I had less than 1,000 miles on the truck and didn't have as big of a problem removing the hubs as discussed earlier. FWIW the hubs didn't just fall out though.

· Premium Member
202 Posts

· Banned
879 Posts
Here's a link, with pictures, of a ball joint replacement on a 2005 HD Ram that shows how to pull the hub using a socket and the steering.
DIY Ball Joint Replacement - DodgeForum.com

There using the bolts and a deep socket and turning the wheel to push it out....

Well if a 3/4" steel plate can be bent, im sure that bolt trick is just like my experience of 2 for 12 screwing up....and those bolts can be bent or broken also or the socket....either way if it screws up you need a hub...

· Registered
37 Posts
If you use a socket and turn the wheel to press out the hub, wouldn't that pull pretty hard on the axle shaft? How is the axle retained at the diff side? Could all that force damage something in the diff?

A puller doesn't exert force in the same way.

Ideas?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.