Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple questions for you all.
1) On the 4th Gen radius arm trucks, is the front shock what initially stops/limits the droop of the front suspension? I am pretty sure it is but want to confirm.
2) For those of you who have done front leveling kits, assuming the shock is what limits droop, and having the truck in the air with the suspension at full droop that is limited by the extended shock length, after taking out the bottom shock bolt, how much further(measured in inches), would you say the axle has to drop in order to have the coil spring unloaded?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Assuming you are saying that the extended length of the shocks is what limit's the droop of the front suspension? If so, that's what I thought. Now I just need an idea of how how much further the axle would need to drop, beyond where the stock shock limits the droop, before the coil spring would unload. As an example: if the axle was allowed to droop 1.25 or 1.5 inches further than the stock shock allows, would the coil spring unload or would it need to drop 2 or 3 inches further before the coil spring would be unloaded?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im sure the sway bar will be a limiting factor as well
Yeah, I figured that but thought that would come in to play after the shock. I could be wrong though but would not think they would engineer the setup to have the sway bar as being the initial component that limits the droop.

·
Registered
2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 Crew Cab DRW
61 Posts
Im pretty sure I had to disconnect the swaybar end links to install the bilsteins on my 3500. I didnt have to remove the coils though so I cant answer your initial question.

I can see youre a jeep guy like myself. I know CJs didnt come with swaybars but YJs, TJs, XJs did and they remove their swaybars for more articulation long before the shocks limit them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts