Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 134,000 on the truck just installed smarty so6 and edge insight also have air dog 2 and intake and exhaust. What caused that seal to fail I'm confused??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
637 Posts
Are you talking about the front crank shaft seal behind the vibration dampener...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it has just started leaking and is scheduled to go into shop next week

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright I just figured that wasn't a go out item at that mileage while I have the shop there is there anything else to mess with?

·
Registered
308 Posts
You might want to look a little closer at the leak. I thought for sure I had the exact same thing. I was so sure I ordered a timing cover gasket/seal and oil pan gasket. It turned out to be the beginning of the water pump going south. The dribble of coolant from the water pump vent ran down the front of the engine combining with the very black diesel oil surface residue and ran right by the crank pulley on its way to the driveway. I would have bet the farm four times over that it was oil on my driveway and the seal was leaking. When I finally got around to actually rubbed it between my fingers and felt/smelled it I was blown away, it smelled like coolant but looked exactly like black diesel oil. The water pump is MUCH easier to replace than the seal. I hope I don't need the gaskets/seals that I have on hand now.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I'm 100% sure it is oil but I kinda wish it was coolant now

·
Registered
219 Posts
How hard is it to replace the crank seal? My truck is leaking oil too. Not much, but enough to have oil all over my front axle.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mechanic told me 2 hr job for him I have worked on my truck a lot (put on the air dog replace whole front end valve lash) but the way work is and the weather I can't do it my self right now

·
Premium Member
15,609 Posts
I would question whether it is the crank seal at all. That is not that much mileage for the seals.

Before tearing that all apart to do the seal make sure you or whomever does the work pulls the fan support and looks under it when the timing case meets the block. The upper part of the case\block joint has a habit of tearing the gasket where it is thin and it will push oil out onto the slant of the case where it runs down under the WP and drips on the damper hub making it look like a seal leak.

Really annoying to replace the crank seal and not fix the leak. :banghead:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will check it out good before anythings done thanks every one for the info

·
Registered
308 Posts
Mechanic told me 2 hr job for him I have worked on my truck a lot (put on the air dog replace whole front end valve lash) but the way work is and the weather I can't do it my self right now
Wow, 2hrs from beginning to fully reassembled and running? That seems very optimistic to me.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Unless it is leaking enough to really effect your oil level, I would not worry about it. If it is the water pump, fix ASAP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts