Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about leveling the front end of my 2014 Ram 3500 Megacab, any suggestions to what brand is the best or widely used on these trucks. Thanks

·
Joe @ Dude’s Diesel Performance
1,390 Posts
I am thinking about leveling the front end of my 2014 Ram 3500 Megacab, any suggestions to what brand is the best or widely used on these trucks. Thanks
Thuren hands down for a Dodge, Carli would be my second choice. We're a stocking dealer for both so shoot me a Pm if you have any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thuren is the go to if your looking to replace coils and gain ride quality, however you sacrifice load capability.

I went with a set of 2” tough country spacers to retain my factory load capacity and buy me a little clearance.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thuren is the go to if your looking to replace coils and gain ride quality, however you sacrifice load capability.

I went with a set of 2” tough country spacers to retain my factory load capacity and buy me a little clearance.
Thats basically all I am after ,is there any drawbacks to just going the spacers ,did you have to replace the shocks ? I leveled my old Superduty with leaf spring front suspension ,and it worked well, no alignment ,tire or any other issues .
I didn't realize you could use just spacers ,which would be great if they work well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Your shocks will be too short, they sell extensions or you can upgrade to a quality shock.

Below is a link to the exact kit I used. IMO 2” is perfect, empty it’s just barely raked (about .25”) any weight in the truck and it’s perfect. The 2.5” kits look nose high to me unless your throwing a block in the rear, I did not want my receiver or tailgate any higher.

I looked into the Thuren setup, wanted it, and was willing to spend the money on it; but didn’t want to give up the load capacity. That said I’ve never heard anyone talk negative about the Thuren and a coil kit is “the right way to do it”. If my truck was just a grocery getter I’d have done it without hesitation.

Regardless of which kit you use, you will need an alignment with our radius arm suspension.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your shocks will be too short, they sell extensions or you can upgrade to a quality shock.

Below is a link to the exact kit I used. IMO 2” is perfect, empty it’s just barely raked (about .25”) any weight in the truck and it’s perfect. The 2.5” kits look nose high to me unless your throwing a block in the rear, I did not want my receiver or tailgate any higher.

I looked into the Thuren setup, wanted it, and was willing to spend the money on it; but didn’t want to give up the load capacity. That said I’ve never heard anyone talk negative about the Thuren and a coil kit is “the right way to do it”. If my truck was just a grocery getter I’d have done it without hesitation.

Regardless of which kit you use, you will need an alignment with our radius arm suspension.

I don't know if it makes a difference ,but mine is a 3500. But yes 2" is all I want to go. I do tow a 38' fifth wheel, and no plans to change tire size or anything like that , I have aftermarket air bags in the rear. I assume it will not change my rear height, no way I want to be any higher in the rear towing a fifth wheel. My only motive here is I think they look a bit better more level. Its something I have thought about since I bought the truck new in 2014. I like the way my old ford looked leveled 2" in the front.

·
Joe @ Dude’s Diesel Performance
1,390 Posts

You only lose towing/hauling capabilities if you change the rear springs or change the sway bar.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thuren all the way. Pay for the right stuff once and be happy for the rest of your ownership

·
Registered
211 Posts
The way it was explained to me, sitting in park the front load capacity doesn’t play into towing / hauling.. factor in stopping and turning, and to a degree it does.
Directly from thuren, they advised against using their spring if mounting a plow. That was another major deciding factor for me.

I’m in no way trying to steer you away from thuren, they are top quality and well respected in the off road community from what I’ve seen. I just didn’t feel it fit my particular application.

·
Registered
659 Posts
4th or 5th vote for Thuren. His shocks work well too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I looked into the Thuren and Carli kits and ended up going with with Rough Country - solely for the price. They get a ton of hate but I've been very pleased. For a heavy duty truck with the snow chief package, mine already has a rough ride so I wasn't expecting it to turn into a Cadillac but the ride has been fine. It does require an alignment after install and I believe that goes for all of the leveling kits out there.

For $240 I got the spacers and 4 of their shocks. For $99 you could get just the spacers and the 2 front shock extensions that are required. My OE shocks had 120,000 miles on them so I figured that it wouldn't hurt to replace them with the longer ones.

I too pull a 42' fifth wheel with rear air bags installed and it does fine.

Hope it helps. You can see the leveled stance in my signature picture too.

·
Cummins Freak
3,452 Posts
I used Carli 2.5 leveling coils because I was told they have a better load capacity. I run a heavier bumper and they do very well!!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Just put a load in the bed and it sits nice and level! As it was designed to do---

·
Premium Member
325 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I'd give Thuren a try. I have a Carli Backcountry suspension and to be frank, I haven't had a great experience. I'm not ripping on them, it's just that it hasn't worked out well.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts