Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I have that kit on my truck, can't say that I noticed much in the way of a mpg increase but I tend to drive a bit on the fast side - will know more tomorrow after a long highway trip with the kit on.

The only two bad things that I can think of are the price and how much the hubs stick out past the wheels - not a big deal for me but a lot of folks don't like it in terms of looks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have that kit on my truck, can't say that I noticed much in the way of a mpg increase but I tend to drive a bit on the fast side - will know more tomorrow after a long highway trip with the kit on.

The only two bad things that I can think of are the price and how much the hubs stick out past the wheels - not a big deal for me but a lot of folks don't like it in terms of looks.
Dynalock hubs shave at least an inch off the stickout length. Spendy, but most 35-spline locking hubs are.

·
Registered
368 Posts
IMO : it would have to save a whole lot of fuel to have to get out in a mud hole or rain to lock the hubs .

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Hand calculated 16.8mpg for a 300 mile trip with 2 regens averaging 80mph with ~700lbs of stuff in the bed, previous trip was 16.2 under about the same conditions but with only half of a regen and no stuff in the bed. Used the exact same pump each time. First trip was with about 2300 miles on the unit, second with 3500 miles - still on the AU flash.

I've experienced a unit bearing failure on a previous vehicle, luckily for my wallet the vehicle was under warranty but it was a huge inconvenience regardless and if it hadn't been under warranty my wallet would have been very inconvenienced, so for me the price of manual hubs and serviceable bearings is just insurance against not having to deal with a unit bearing failure in the future, if there happens to be an mpg increase in the conversion then I'll take that to and I'll take it now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any chance you could post a picture of how far they stick out?
I can't seem to find any pictures of the kit installed.

I've been looking at the 30 spline EMS kit. It's $500 cheaper and you can buy them direct rather than paying a retailer's mark up. :thumbsup
They offer a 35 spline kit for people who really want a stronger kit for $100 more than the 30 spline kit.

00+ Dodge 2500/3500 SRW Hub Conversion Kit [HC-00D-30] - $1,375.00 : EMS Offroad, When You're Ready For The Next Step

·
Registered
929 Posts
i plan to do this conversion, like slagburn said...mainly for the rebuild able/re-grease able bearings...but if i gain some mileage as well, bonus!

·
Registered
999 Posts
:thumbsup I plan on doing it when one of my seals give out. I try not to replace stuff until it breaks or is about to break. I have read that they do give you mpg's. If a seal or bearing goes out I can just buy that on not the whole hub again. :$: As for having to get out and lock and un lock the hubs it's something I have always had to do in all of my other 4x4's in the past. So it shouldn't bother me that much. :thud:

·
Registered
485 Posts
That EMS kit looks good. I have 176,000mi. on my factory hubs.

·
Registered
929 Posts
that does stick out some, but not too bad. how hard was the install?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
The install is very straight forward if you're familiar with how conventional solid axles work, have a press, a torque wrench and air tools. The two most difficult tasks for me were getting the rotors unstuck from the old hubs (LOTS OF RUST, EVEN ON A 07.5) I had to use blocks of wood and a calibrated 5lb hammer to get mine off, and getting the brake caliper bracket bolts broken lose required the help of someone much stronger than I. (Wasn't able to get the impact wrench to them and they are torqued really tight at the factory.)

I have pictures of the whole thing on another PC.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
This is something I plan to do as well, for serviceability, 2lo, and any mpgs I might get.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
This is the kit on my 07 5.9. I have one for my 6.7 as well but this will give you an idea of what it looks like on a truck with bigger wheels/tires/lift. This is on an 18" wheels with 37" tires.

:thumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Looks good with the bigger tires. This is definitely on my wish list... probably after 3yr/36k miles... lol.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Here is a full view of the truck with the kit on it. I had same kit on my 06 5.9 as well. That was a 6 speed manual with same size tires/lift and with the truck chipped there was about 1.-1.5 mpg increase. Not a big increase for the $2200 price tag :thumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Dynaloc hub option.

The Dynaloc option shaves a good 3/4"- 1" off the end of the hub. Much simpler and stronger too!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the pictures!
They don't look bad on a bigger rim at all. I have 17 x 9 Centerlines with a 4.5" back spacing on mine.

If it really were to improve the mileage 1 to 1.5 mpg and my truck currently averages 11 mpg that would be nearly a 10% increase! At $4+ per gallon I think $1375 for the kit seems like money well spent! :thumbsup

I think I'll go with the EMS kit for sure!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts