Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing from others ,that the front end in 98-02 cummins pick ups are weak and that there has been lots of issues with them. Does anyone know more about this and better yet have any fixs for correcting common problems?:headbang:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
IMO the biggest problem to me is the junky factory track bar....you can get a kit and run a 3rd gen track bar or some people just use Lukes links on the thing instead....

that and i hate the unit bearings on them...PITA to replace if you have some rust in there....

·
Registered
172 Posts
I second the track bar...i just bought a moog...ball joints and tie rods go bad regularly...theres a lot of weight on them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMO the biggest problem to me is the junky factory track bar....you can get a kit and run a 3rd gen track bar or some people just use Lukes links on the thing instead....

that and i hate the unit bearings on them...PITA to replace if you have some rust in there....
Is it neccessary to rebuild tie rods, drag links and tracking bars?

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Is it neccessary to rebuild tie rods, drag links and tracking bars?
well i'll tell ya what...my truck has 178k on it and i've only replaced the driver's side tierod end, the crappy unit bearing and the upper and lower balljoints ....

if you jump in it and take off you'll think you're in a 80's model chevy with 35's on it...

she tends to wonder on the road a bit, so when i get the $$ i plan on replace'n the trac bar with a 3rd gen and just go ahead and replace all the joints up front and be done with it for another 100k

so it is a real good idea to either rebuild or replace them...:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts