Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im havin some issues with my front end. i posted awile back how you could feel bumps in the steering wheel going down the road. well that seemed to worsten i checked the front end out completely and could not find it. so i figured it rear its ugly head after awile. well all of a sudden on sat when you turn left it feels like the wheels gonna fall off it what seem to me to wabble almost kinda like the axle is shifting back and forth when you turn. its worse on left turn but you still feel it on right turns. it jerks the wheel in a way. going strait there are no wabbles or vibrations but it does fel like the axle is walking around almost...now i know what your gonna say. checked and performed every test on the track bar and there is absolutly no play what so ever in the track bar. no i do have a tiny minimul amount of play in the ball joints both sides but my buddies at work had the same amount of play in his and he only has 12,000 on his. also the only front end part i could find to have just a very slight amount of play in was the drag link end on the pitman arm. but my buddy had to jurk the wheel pretty hard back and forth for you to see/feel the slight amount of play it has in it. and ther eis almost none with the truck in the air. so i doubt this is the culprit. any ideas?? or something i failed to check that you guys have experienced?. could a sloppy steering box cause this?? thanks for any help

·
Registered
963 Posts
Jack it up and cheak the bearings in the hub, the run out in the tire, and after a drive see if the shock is warm. A cold shock after a drive is junk. PLAY SAFE!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the entire dront end... On. The ground n on the rack no play in the wheel bearings

·
Registered
866 Posts
Do the track bar check. I didn't see any play in my track bar itself but I could see the axle moving. scared me enough I spent my emergency money and bought a new one.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
theres no play at all in the track bar and the axle does not move this has got me stumped

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have someone in the driver seat. have them move the wheel back and forth fast and short. This will find were you have a loose what ever. It does sound like a loose track bar

·
Registered
866 Posts
It sounds exactly like what my truck is doing. I couldn't find it at first either but it has gotten worse and I am 95% sure its my track bar. Just bought a new one so we'll find out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Check for play in your steering shaft as well as your steering gear box. I had to replace the steering shaft with a Borgeson from Geno's and also added the extra steering box brace from PSC that keeps the box from flexing against the frame. Here's the link: (SB-300) '03-'06 4WD 2500/3500 Dodge Ram Steering Stabilizer [SB-300] - $129.95 : PSC Motorsports, Off-Road Steering Experts

Of course I also had to replace the wheel bearings (NAPA sells them), the ball joints, all of the tie rod ends, axle shaft u-joints, shocks, etc... They were all worn out at 105,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
there is no play in the track bar ive went over it twice there is just miniml play in the drag link end. could this cause the knock in the steering wheel when i hit bumps??

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the same thing going on as you do. I tighten the track bar bolts up to 200 ft-lbs and it seemed to help for a day or so. The next investment that I will be making is an adjustable track bar and if needed the steering box stabilizer that was mentioned in a previous post.

Also my front end seems to be very bouncy and it gets worse the faster I go. My initial thoughts are that the tires are slightly out of balance. Don't think the new bilstiens are already bad. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
866 Posts
It sure could. If all you are feeling is a bump I would change out the stabilizer with a good aftermarket one and see what that does.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same knock in my steering wheel when I go over bumps. It just started and is driving me crazy. I have already replaced all ball joints, left front wheel bearing, etc. and now this pops up. I only have 36,000 miles on my truck . The engine is great the front end is junk. Let me know if u find the answer, I would love to know what I have to replace next.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Well so far everything I have looked at on my front end is junk. Far as that goes the truck is junk. Love the motor but its in the wrong truck. I still stick by my theory, at 100,000 pull out the motor and throw away the truck.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the same knock in my steering wheel when I go over bumps. It just started and is driving me crazy. I have already replaced all ball joints, left front wheel bearing, etc. and now this pops up. I only have 36,000 miles on my truck . The engine is great the front end is junk. Let me know if u find the answer, I would love to know what I have to replace next.
will do buddy...shes going on the rack again this mornin...i chased th9is same feeling on a chevy truck once come to fnd out they all do it even the tahoes...but i dont drive a chevy so ill find it...but if i could fit my "C" into a gmc hd it already be in there and like was stated throw my truck away. my 99 i put 127,000 miles on it and had a lift,tires,turned up, towed heavy,recreational sled pulling, mudding. and i never even had to look at the front end...not once!!. in fact the only thing i everreplaced was the fuel pump(go0 figure) these 3rd gens are pussiess. very disapointed...wow what a rant...sorry

·
2,246 Posts
If you change the track bar to a Thuren adjustable, the pop will probably go away. You can get the track bar from Defiant for a good price, they also have a very nice steering box stabilizer brace. I have 85,000 on my truck, stock ball joints and and the 35's, the big downfall is the trackbar everything else will hold up just fine on the 3rd gens.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts