Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals! I need some input. Something is wrong and I cant figure out what it is. When I turn at slow speeds my steering wheel jerks back and forth almost like in 4wd but not that drastic. Also there is a squeak that seems to come from the driver side wheel that squeaks in unison with the jerk. Please help:thud:

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
My 2003 wobbled like crazy when youd hit a split in the pavement going down the road. What speed does it do it? I was told it was alist of things including upper and lower ball joints but at 28,000mi there was no way I was paying to replace them so I traded it on my F250. Mine was terrible and just got worse, but it sounds differnt than mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2003 wobbled like crazy when youd hit a split in the pavement going down the road. What speed does it do it? I was told it was alist of things including upper and lower ball joints but at 28,000mi there was no way I was paying to replace them so I traded it on my F250. Mine was terrible and just got worse, but it sounds differnt than mine.
Had the same issue with my 2006 at 30,000 miles...after the dealer replaced most of the front end I spoke with the local cummins mechanic that was no longer at the dealership and he told me to have them replace the stearing stabalizer. Went back to the dealership had them replace it and no longer had the wobble. I guess they don't call it a shimmy shock for no reason.

·
Registered
520 Posts
front ends are junk

I just dropped almost a grand in my front end, at 98,000 miles had to replace upper and lower b-joints, bearings, put in premium GREASABLE u-joints to replace the mopar crap, a front pinion seal, etc.

I miss my 99.5 F350 'stroke in reguards to everything from the factory was greasable and heavy duty...I figure once I replace all the weak mopar stuff it will be ok:$:

now I know why people transplant cummins power into a Ford chasis it is the best of both worlds imho:thumbsup

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya sounds like you had death wobble. mine is at low speeds like just turning a corner.

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
I had a similar problem. I took my impact to the upper and lower control arms mounting bolts at the axle and frame rail and that fixed it. My rig had only 50k miles on it when the bolts worked themselves loose. Try that, im sure it will help. Oh, that passenger side upper control arm bolt at the frame is a real SOB. Good luck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I also replaced my stabilizer. Helped some but not much. So then I put Rancho's quad stabilizer on and it almos eliminated it but would do it ocassionaly. Dealer said it was common and not to worry about it. After that comment I drove a block to the Ford dealer and traded it on my F250. Good luck man. Hope you have more patience than I do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I may add my 2 cents, sounds like an outer u joint. The wobble and the squeak may be the u joint siezed. How many miles do you have on it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I just went thru the exact same thing at 30k miles ... I'd bet it is your front axle u-joints. They also replaced the upper ball joints while they had it apart as they were worn also but it was the u-joints that I was feeling and hearing.
Make sure you post back telling us what the problem was so you can help the next guy ... there will be plenty more :thumbsup

·
Registered
999 Posts
I just had my steering gear box replaced today. While turning I could feel a clunk in my steering wheel and pedals. So I took it to the dealer before my waranty ran out and low and be hold the steering box was bad. I have 1,200 miles left on my warranty. Every dodge i've owned had frontend issues. Oh well as long as it got's a CUMMINS I will keep buying one.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I am having front end issues as well. The only reason I bought a Dodge was for the motor. I am a Ford man but I don't like the new ford motors. When I get the 12v in my 94 F350 then I will have the ultimate truck. Nothing like all mechanical.

I am getting a loud pop from my front end. I am thinking its ball joints and axle u joints. I am really wanting that dynatrac kit but I really don't have the cash for it. If it was about $1k cheaper it would be a no brainer.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am having similar issues with mine. When the wheel turns back (especially at full lock) I can feel a bit of a stiffness or jerking until it straightens out. I took it to the dealer this week and the mechanic said that the ball joints, u joints were all good. I even asked him to take it for a ride with me and he said he couldn't feel anything. I know that something doesn't feel quite like it did just a few weeks back. Anyway, I just ordered a KORE steering stabilizer that I'm going to install to see if it helps.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I also replaced my stabilizer. Helped some but not much. So then I put Rancho's quad stabilizer on and it almos eliminated it but would do it ocassionaly. Dealer said it was common and not to worry about it. After that comment I drove a block to the Ford dealer and traded it on my F250. Good luck man. Hope you have more patience than I do.
good luck with that powerstroke:popcorn:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Tell me something...when the wheel jerks back and forth when manouvering (which I've noticed on occasion as well) have you taken the cap off of your power steering reservoir and noticed it is pressurized....?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I mean pressurized with air...with the truck shutoff.

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Well I guess I shall welcome myself to the club... I have replaced all tie-rod ends new shocks dual stearing staiblizer bar and still have death wobble cant go over 70 mph without it happening... my nxt step is im taking off my 18" rims which have a off-set of 5" to see if that is where my problem is coming from....

I can tell you guys the problem the fact that Dodge puts the same front end under these 2500 and 3500 trucks reguardless if its got the gasser or its got the CUMMINS meaning we all know that cummins weights a lot more then the gasser so the parts cant hold up! :thud:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts