Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004.5 1 ton srw 4wd
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ram drive pretty well for stock suspension for the first few months I had it, but when I put a 3” level in the front and 2” blocks in the back it got really bad death wobble. I put a steering brace and dual stabilizers in and I haven’t had death wobble since. Instead, starting around 60-68 mph or so I have a slight shake in the front end. I know things are probably out of geometry and I’m going to end up fixing everything but what would be the main thing that might cause it? The steering wheels has the slightest shake to it and it feels like I’m hitting a bunch of super tiny bumps all in a row. The truck is still completely controllable during the shaking it’s just annoying to deal with. Truck is a 4wd and have recently had new trac bar bushings put in.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you got the composite spacers on the front. Those things caused me nothing but issues. They kept coming loose and would cause me all kinds of grief. Might consider ditching them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It could be your tires or it could be your front end is worn out and the steering stabilizers you put on are keeping it from going into full blown death wobble. Look up CJC offroad on YouTube they have videos on where and how to check for worn steering.

·
Registered
77 Posts
From my conversations with Thuren, the track bar seems like the number one place to start when fixing many issues. I would look into that as well.

What dual stabilizers did you go with? I'm looking at getting some Fox ones.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don’t think dual stabilizers are necessary. Both Thuren and carli sell single stabilizers that are good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don’t think dual stabilizers are necessary. Both Thuren and carli sell single stabilizers that are good.
Will look into these then. Me looking at dual had two reasons: 1) a previous owner put a cheap dual on there. 2) They look cool...??? To me anyway lol...but if it's wasteful I will look at something else.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I could be wrong I’ve just been watching CJC offroad videos. They go over best options on steering, suspension and tires for Ford and dodge.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Stabilizers didn't fix your problem, they masked it. Steering brace does the same thing if put on a worm out box. It's best to find the real issue instead of doing band aids.

I have the dual fox's and like them, run 20x12s and it does a much better job than a single stabilizer did. I did a write up on fixing the BDS kit if that's the one you look at. I don't like how most of the cheapo kits mount.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Have you tried the carli or thuren stabilizers?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Carli I had no interest in because it's such a pain to setup and if you release too much nitrogen you have to get it filled again and start over. It also opens up for someone to mess with you by releasing the pressure and you aren't supposed to run them under 70psi. Would be nice if they knew "best guess" psi for popular setups. Maybe they do if you call them, not sure. The tampering part was too much of a risk where I live.

At the time I got the dual foxes, I don't think Thuren had the king damper, he was just using the long body fox setup which my understanding was trying to simulate how the duals behave.

I'd love to see some actual reviews with big/heavy wheels and tires on the king damper though. My wheels and tires combined are 130/140lbs each iirc.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I get new tires I’m gonna get one. Love Toyo mts just hate the radial pull.

Reactions: nosympathy

·
Registered
2004.5 1 ton srw 4wd
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From my conversations with Thuren, the track bar seems like the number one place to start when fixing many issues. I would look into that as well.

What dual stabilizers did you go with? I'm looking at getting some Fox ones.
I went with the rough country ones, cheap and not the greatest but all I was looking for was the fastest and cheapest way to stop death wobble.

·
Registered
2004.5 1 ton srw 4wd
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stabilizers didn't fix your problem, they masked it. Steering brace does the same thing if put on a worm out box. It's best to find the real issue instead of doing band aids.

I have the dual fox's and like them, run 20x12s and it does a much better job than a single stabilizer did. I did a write up on fixing the BDS kit if that's the one you look at. I don't like how most of the cheapo kits mount.
I just didn’t know why I never had any issue with any of it, then the leveling kit gave me death wobble with I understand is probably due to things being out of proper alignment, but now I have the shake. I wouldn’t imagine the box would be showing that it’s worn out immediately after the level was put on but that very well could be it.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
should get real springs and shocks that match them.
pull from different tires treads ie toyos/coopers/kumhos on my thuck was instantly fixed by Carli opposing stabilzer adjustment , which at the time (8 years ago) was good deal because i wanted lift, sway bar , track bar, stabilizer. ball joints, diff cover, so got a deal.
doing it for just stabilizer i would probably just get thuren king setup.
As far as nitrogen Nowadays all dealers/good tire shops have nitrogen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts