Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most every time i turn at slow speeds i hear a popping noise in the front end of my truck. It does it more when turning left then right. I noticed it after i done a 2.5" leveling kit on the front end. It seems to have gotten wore. Anybody got any ideas?

·
Registered
207 Posts
subscribed... similar fairly quiet sound, no lift kit on yet though

·
Registered
104 Posts
Taking a guess, sway bar. Could be the joint between sway bar and mount. Check that the rubber isolators are in correct position and not damaged.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
I use to have this noise when the wheel was at full left or right. it did seem more noticeable one way from the other, want to say to the right but not sure. It has not done it in a while either. No lifts or leveling kit, but at one point it had a leveling kit then a 6"kit, back to stock now. I have not heard the noise in months and I have checked everything using a pry bar. So I have no idea.

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,560 Posts
I have a sound like that at full lock to either side. My big Fat tire knobs rubbing on the frame. I can see the nice shiney spots.

·
Registered
411 Posts
i have experienced a popping noise once at full lock right.... my truck is stock.... havent herd anything since except for the PS making a little whine noise while sitting still moving wheels

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
i replaced my sway bar links and it went away for a while it seemed like... but i also had a bad u joint up there somewhere too

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you turn the wheel all the way to one side or the other and hear one solid "pop", its probably the track bar bushings. I had this same issue with my old truck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you turn the wheel all the way to one side or the other and hear one solid "pop", its probably the track bar bushings. I had this same issue with my old truck.
I will check that thanks!

·
Registered
371 Posts
TRAC BAR.This is a known issue with these trucks.I took mine in for this popping noise and the dealership replaced the whole trac bar under warranty.Some trucks came from the factory with the wrong size bolt(s) in the trac bar.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Had the same sound on my 03 and it turned out to be the BALL JOINTS. Replaced them as it had some play on top and no more sounds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Turned out to be the front U-Joints on mine. After replacing them all was good.

C

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a popping noise in the same situation recently in my 4WD dually. I ignored it and soon it worsened and began to translate into a movement in the steering wheel (like in 4wd on pavement). Pans out that both front U joints were shot plus one hub had 3/8" endplay. Replaced both U joints & axles (they're one piece) and the R. front hub. Problem solved. If you're out of warranty it costs about $2300 at the Dodge dealer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same problem kept getting worse and worse clicking sound when i came to comeplete stop or hit potholes, few days later in a parking lot my tie rod link snapped off.

·
L-I-V-I-N
914 Posts
It took a set of chassis ears to find my front end rattle....upper steering shaft. Fixed

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I've checked every bolt in the steering system and made sure nothing was loose. I aint found nothing so I guess the next step is for some one to turn the wheel while I'm under it and maybe it'll pop!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here's one way to check U joint functioning by both feel and hearing:

1. Jack up the front end until tires are clear of the ground
2. turn the wheels full stop L
3. with wheel off ground and turned fully to the L manually turn your/spin the L front wheel as if you're checking bearing tension or old time shoe brake adjustment. Doing so makes the U joint and axle turn as if your driving while the U joint is at full stop L. This is a good time to check hub end play and bearing tension by pulling and pushing the wheel from/to the axle while the wheel is straight. No end play allowed.
4. turn the front wheels full stop R.
5. repeat the tire spin while feeling it and listening to the U joint

When you're turning/spinning each wheel/tire feel for uneven motion or unwanted sounds.

you can also just roll down the window and turn tightly very slowly on a paved surface so you can hear the front end noises. Any pull in the steering wheel (as if in 4wd) means bad U joints or problems with the power steering pump/gear assy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info! I will try and checknit today!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts