Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been chasing this knock in the front end for 2 weeks. Can't seem to find anything loose. You can feel in it the floor on the passenger side. Trac bar is a new moog unit, maybe the bushing is bad already? All new tie rod ends, new pitman arm, new sway bar end links, ball joints are tight, wheel bearings tight, u joints are tight. Shocks were replaced by PO maybe upper bushing isn't in there or possibly sway bar bushings on the frame are worn out I can't physically shake or move anything. Really scratching my head here. Only feel/hear it when I hit a bump. Appreciate any other ideas on areas to look at.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
mine has done that from about 50k miles. i have checked everything and i can not find anything loose :confused013:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've got the same knock also that I cant find either but I'm is on the driver side.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine does this on drivers side, I know one of the control arms on that side will rattle a little if I get under there and wiggle it.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
as mentioned above....check shock mount bolts, that lower one has to be freaking tight, you can reach in with a small prybar/screwdriver and try prying up on the shock, if it moves its too lose

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had a knock like that until i replaced my shocks

·
Registered
204 Posts
Shocks were my issue. It drove me nuts for weeks until I tightened them up. They just recently started doing it again. I think its time to replace them.

·
Registered
21,491 Posts
Sounds like either control arm bushings or lower track bar bushing again. I had one that only lasted 6 months. They do not make rubber like they used to. They way to check the track bar bushing or tie rod ends and bal joints is to start it and bet under it had have somebody turn the wheel back and forth 1/4 turn each way and look at he bushings and ends to feel or see the play. Just trying to move them by had will notwork. Sometimes you can see the control arm bushings move the same way. Track bar and /or control arms are most likely. If you can afford it do them all if you have one bad. Shop price, try Summit Racing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem driver side. Usually was most noticed at a slow speed turning. I could press the brake and it would quit. I got a caliper bolt sleeve and bushing set and it helped along with a new rotor as mine was shot. But it still makes a noise on occasion. It's the small amount of play that the caliper has riding on the disk and I think the pads wedge themselves slightly against the disk sometimes and make the aweful grinding/ knocking sound. If anybody knows wtf to do to fix this problem I'm all ears.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I had the same problem driver side. Usually was most noticed at a slow speed turning. I could press the brake and it would quit. I got a caliper bolt sleeve and bushing set and it helped along with a new rotor as mine was shot. But it still makes a noise on occasion. It's the small amount of play that the caliper has riding on the disk and I think the pads wedge themselves slightly against the disk sometimes and make the aweful grinding/ knocking sound. If anybody knows wtf to do to fix this problem I'm all ears.
you should start your own thread rather than hooking on to someone elses, especially since you have a different issue

but... your issue is not likely a caliper/pad/rotor problem as the noise you describe does not happen with the components listed, unless the pads are wore out, I'd suspect you have a wheel bearing on the verge of failure

·
Registered
252 Posts
control arm bushings stopped mine from doing that ,i don't suggest changing the bushings .they are a pain.buy the whole new arms on ebay.for around $ 200.00 for all 4.of them.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
you should start your own thread rather than hooking on to someone elses, especially since you have a different issue

but... your issue is not likely a caliper/pad/rotor problem as the noise you describe does not happen with the components listed, unless the pads are wore out, I'd suspect you have a wheel bearing on the verge of failure
Sorry didn't mean to hook onto someone else's thread. Everybody had different theory's what the noise could be I was just trying to help. Wheels bearings are new along with ball joints. I read somewhere that dodge break pads have the anti rattle clip to keep them from making a simular noise. If the clip is in wrong, bent, or not just not working that might be cause to the noise he hears. Hope that helps ya out buddy

·
Registered
96 Posts
ya my dodge made a bump changed control arm bushings, went withenergy susprnsions, bump went away but it still wandered ,, just a dodge,,,,

o

·
Registered
14 Posts
My truck had this same problem I could feel it on the driver side floor. When I pushed my brakes it would stop. Take your tire off and knock the anti rattle clips in on your brake caliper and see if that helps that was the problem on my truck and it fixed it simple as that. Hope it helps

·
Mule Barn Proprietor
10,673 Posts
Didnt read all the replys but check your caliper slide pins......I chased this on a friends truck and loose caliper was all it ended up bieng. But it felt like someone was hitting the passenger floorboard with a hammer from underneath

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.