Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 6 Cyl 5.9L HO Cummins Turbo Diesel; 4-Speed Automatic Trans 48RE; SLT Quad 4x4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned an 05 Dodge Ram 2500 (6 Cyl 5.9L HO Cummins Turbo Diesel; 4-Speed Automatic Transmission 48RE; SLT Quad Cab 4WD) thats been giving me some issues with the front end. I swear I go through tie-rods parts too often. I replaced the outer tie rods a few months ago, had the truck aligned and thought everything was good. I realized some outer wear on my tires and decided to go and have the front end checked out to be told the inner tie-rods are worn to the pitman and also to steering damper. I am new to all these lingo, was thinking maybe the repair shop is trying to pull one on me. While doing some research on a more heavy duty tie=rods to purchase I came across a suggested 09 steering upgrade kits for 03-13 Ram 2500. Has anyone done this procedure and is it a difficult procedure, meaning can the average repair shop pull this off?
Would I have to change ball joints, stabilizer bars etc?
Also it was recommend the stabilizer bars and the intermediate steering shaft upper and lower be changed

Any input would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’ve owned a 2nd and a 4th gen, both had steering issues when I got them.

At a minimum, replace with OEM parts, I’ve heard aftermarket parts from brands we used to trust just don’t last in these HD trucks. Like, they’re wearing out in 25k.

This Mopar setup should last a while:'03-'12 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 T-Style Steering Linkage Kit

The synergy kit is considered the best fix, but they are twice as expensive: 03-12, 4WD Dodge Ram Synergy Heavy-Duty Steering Kit

No reason why a regular repair shop can’t install these. Regarding the ball joints, I would check to see if they’re bad. Just need to jack up each tire and do the wiggle/rocking test. Lots of videos on YouTube showing what to look for.

·
1,273 Posts
Stay away from Synergy unless you are willing to replace their junk spring loaded ends with EMF. Then you would have the most durable steering money can buy.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Either your terminology is off or this shop and the last one jerked your chain pretty hard. Look at your front end and locate the "outer tie rods". I guess technically the short side could be called a rod end, but the other side is not replaceable without replacing the whole tie rod.
You dont' have inner tie rods, but you're describing the drag link. Check it out, either it's sloppy or not. Same with tie rods. Drag link won't really cause tier wear, just sloppy steering.
Check ball joints too. It would be helpful if you knew someone who knew what they were doing to look at it if you dont' understand or have a shop you can trust.
Outer tire "wear" can be many things or different causes, including tire pressure, type of driving, worn ball joints...
Good luck. Hope you can find someone trustworthy. FWIW, my front end needed to "be rebuilt" according to a shop at like 70k miles. Just sold it with 180k and all original components, driving straight and not eating tires.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 6 Cyl 5.9L HO Cummins Turbo Diesel; 4-Speed Automatic Trans 48RE; SLT Quad 4x4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either your terminology is off or this shop and the last one jerked your chain pretty hard. Look at your front end and locate the "outer tie rods". I guess technically the short side could be called a rod end, but the other side is not replaceable without replacing the whole tie rod.
You dont' have inner tie rods, but you're describing the drag link. Check it out, either it's sloppy or not. Same with tie rods. Drag link won't really cause tier wear, just sloppy steering.
Check ball joints too. It would be helpful if you knew someone who knew what they were doing to look at it if you dont' understand or have a shop you can trust.
Outer tire "wear" can be many things or different causes, including tire pressure, type of driving, worn ball joints...
Good luck. Hope you can find someone trustworthy. FWIW, my front end needed to "be rebuilt" according to a shop at like 70k miles. Just sold it with 180k and all original components, driving straight and not eating tires.
Thanks for your input, my terminology might be off but I am stating things as I was told by the shop

I showed up to do an alignment and this is what I was told...

Inner tie-rod end worn to pitman and recommends replacing

Inner tie-rod end worn to steering damper damper and recommends replacing

Intermediate Steering shaft worn and recommends replacing upper and lower

Doing some research on part that I bought over the last two years, I am always having tie-rod issues, both inner and outer.

I cannot recall the last time I have requested an alignment without being told it cannot be done until I change front end parts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve owned a 2nd and a 4th gen, both had steering issues when I got them.

At a minimum, replace with OEM parts, I’ve heard aftermarket parts from brands we used to trust just don’t last in these HD trucks. Like, they’re wearing out in 25k.

This Mopar setup should last a while:'03-'12 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 T-Style Steering Linkage Kit

The synergy kit is considered the best fix, but they are twice as expensive: 03-12, 4WD Dodge Ram Synergy Heavy-Duty Steering Kit

No reason why a regular repair shop can’t install these. Regarding the ball joints, I would check to see if they’re bad. Just need to jack up each tire and do the wiggle/rocking test. Lots of videos on YouTube showing what to look for.

I actually found a safety recall H46 - Mopar Steering Linkage for dodge trucks for the year 2003 through 2009

Lookup FCA Vehicle Recalls by VIN | Official Mopar® Site you can visit this website and see if your vehicle qualifies for any safety recalls

It stated that the dealer will repair said vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). I am going to visit the dealer tomorrow and see if there is any truth to this and see if the dealer would pay for it.

Either way I think I will upgrade to '03-'12 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 T-Style Steering Linkage Kit

·
1,273 Posts
I actually found a safety recall H46 - Mopar Steering Linkage for dodge trucks for the year 2003 through 2009

Lookup FCA Vehicle Recalls by VIN | Official Mopar® Site you can visit this website and see if your vehicle qualifies for any safety recalls

It stated that the dealer will repair said vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). I am going to visit the dealer tomorrow and see if there is any truth to this and see if the dealer would pay for it.

Either way I think I will upgrade to '03-'12 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 T-Style Steering Linkage Kit
Be sure you get the revised pitman arm to accommodate the new linkage. Otherwise you will become very familiar with bumpsteer

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Should read/learn educate your self about your steering here,
Depending on planned use for truck if any upgraded parts needed I would contact
CJC Offroad Off Road Performance Parts and Accessories | CJC Off Road
or
8Lug truck gear 8Lug Truck Gear 8LUG Truck Gear
Can easily do work yourself including pretty simple/easy alignment found on these trucks .

For stock truck, OEM parts works fine for most people.
Should keep in mind some steering components rely on each other to work properly, and last.
IMO, greaseble Moog problem solver(US made) is next best to OEM and in the same quaity/class as Mevotech greasable.
IMO, like Mr K posted been running Synergy upgrade on some very abused jobsite service vehicles and is next best bolt on steering, if you can afford to spend the money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so here is what I found out today.
I visited the local dealer and they did exactly what I expected them to do. They were not inclined to change out the Y linkage with the new and improved T linkage. They told me that they inspected the linkage in 2018 and found that is was not defective even thou the recall H46 did indicate that some of the trucks for the year may have had a defective Y linkage. More interesting they do no service vehicle over 10 years old so they were not even interested in entertaining any more conversation with me. I smiled and told them to have a lovely day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should read/learn educate your self about your steering here,
Depending on planned use for truck if any upgraded parts needed I would contact
CJC Offroad Off Road Performance Parts and Accessories | CJC Off Road
or
8Lug truck gear 8Lug Truck Gear 8LUG Truck Gear
Can easily do work yourself including pretty simple/easy alignment found on these trucks .

For stock truck, OEM parts works fine for most people.
Should keep in mind some steering components rely on each other to work properly, and last.
IMO, greaseble Moog problem solver(US made) is next best to OEM and in the same quaity/class as Mevotech greasable.
IMO, like Mr K posted been running Synergy upgrade on some very abused jobsite service vehicles and is next best bolt on steering, if you can afford to spend the money.

Thanks for your input and the links that I can educate myself more about my truck steering.
I am not planning on doing any major off-road, hauling of boat or any such thing with my truck. I do encounter some major pot holes that seemed to appear over night or after a rain event. Those are my biggest obstacle. I do tend to by off-road front end parts for that main reason.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ok so here is what I found out today.
I visited the local dealer and they did exactly what I expected them to do. They were not inclined to change out the Y linkage with the new and improved T linkage. They told me that they inspected the linkage in 2018 and found that is was not defective even thou the recall H46 did indicate that some of the trucks for the year may have had a defective Y linkage. More interesting they do no service vehicle over 10 years old so they were not even interested in entertaining any more conversation with me. I smiled and told them to have a lovely day.
When i bought my 06 3500 I changed tie rod ends, ball joints, track bar, everything and I still couldnt hold it in the road at interstate speeds if a heavy wind gust hit me head on. I then changed to the new T style linkage, 300 on amazon. been amazing for 30K miles now, no complaints. If you go this route be sure to change the pitman arm it is fairly cheap.

Reactions: Mr K and rayvin433

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When i bought my 06 3500 I changed tie rod ends, ball joints, track bar, everything and I still couldnt hold it in the road at interstate speeds if a heavy wind gust hit me head on. I then changed to the new T style linkage, 300 on amazon. been amazing for 30K miles now, no complaints. If you go this route be sure to change the pitman arm it is fairly cheap.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the original linkage system and the T-style linkage.

I am putting together my order for the T-style linkage, modified pitman arm.
Luke's track bar bushing, maxx links sway bar links (already ordered)

Intermediate Steering shaft are worn and were recommended replacing upper and lower. I wonder if it matters what type I get, meaning do I need to get an upgraded version to match the new T-style linkage?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just be careful on Amazon/Ebay a lot of counterfeit parts on there. ;)
Appreciate that. I am considering recommended sites shown here and Genos Garage, they have quality parts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Appreciate that. I am considering recommended sites shown here and Genos Garage, they have quality parts
Good choice, Geno's has always treated me well. You get a cool sticker and sometimes t-shirts as well!

Reactions: krs

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Can confirm the t style linkage on amazon is legit if that's what you are looking to buy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts