Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well I have noticed something with my truck whenever I go over a decent size bump with a little bit of speed, not a lot (let’s say a speed bump, or a pot hole type of issue or uneven roads) and my front right side suspension articulates, on the decompression of the shock and spring assembly there is an audible loud “clunk”. Even my wife noticed.

Checked everything it’s tight, no leaking or issues I can see with the ball joints, no play in the wheel.

It’s concerning.

Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Is the spring seated correctly?

Did you double-check the sway bar link pins?

Any chance it might be a cab mount?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the spring seated correctly?

Did you double-check the sway bar link pins?

Any chance it might be a cab mount?

Nothing I have seen suggested a spring not seated but it’s possible

Sway bar end links are tight overall

It’s isolated to the front wheel well so not so sure it being a cab mount but with a check for good measure

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi all,

Well I have noticed something with my truck whenever I go over a decent size bump with a little bit of speed, not a lot (let’s say a speed bump, or a pot hole type of issue or uneven roads) and my front right side suspension articulates, on the decompression of the shock and spring assembly there is an audible loud “clunk”. Even my wife noticed.

Checked everything it’s tight, no leaking or issues I can see with the ball joints, no play in the wheel.

It’s concerning.

Ideas?

Do you have a level kit on yours? I had one installed when I picked the truck up..

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a level kit on yours? I had one installed when I picked the truck up..

Nope I am stock

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I noticed the same thing...sometimes i think it is a body mount othertimes i think its the control arm bushings?

I

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have noticed the same thing with mine. Its only on the right side. And its only one in a thousand bumps when it does it.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I get the same thing took it in to the dealer, of course they said they couldn't find anything so i guess let it develop. If anybody figures it out please post back the remedy

·
Registered
594 Posts
Same noise here on my 19. Mine i know for sure is the cab/body mount isolator on the front of the cab as its more of a "pop" noise by my feet than a suspension noise. 95% of the time its the right side. There was a TSB for this same thing on the 4th gens because my 2014 did it exactly to a "T" on the right side as well.....warranty put new "updated" isolators on the front of the cab where it mounts and it never gave fits again. I would guess once enough people complain about it, it will get resolved.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hope it’s that simple.

I bring mine in on Thursday morning. Hoping to bring a tech for a ride to show it.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Folks already mentioned the frontrunners: make sure (1) the coils are seated square top and bottom, (2) the anti-sway connecting rods are tight, (3) the outside front corner body mounts are tight. The other common intermittent clunk issues include early internal steering box looseness or steering box mounting looseness, loose radius arm bolts, bad steering u-joints, the steering column coupler, and, of course, the weak stock ball joints. Also a source of the clunking noise can be the weak stock tie rod clamps coming loose, allowing the rod end and the tie rod to rotate, allowing the tie rod end to reach end of travel now and then, but that's more common on the left. If it's the front right, and you tend to hear it more when turning, hitting bumps, and when it's hot, I would look into the ball joints. In my limited experience, the stock ball joints can begin to make random clunking and popping sounds long before they're "bad". I've had noise from bad shocks, cracked shock mounts, bad steering stabilizer shocks, interference between the front axle cover and a center steering stabilizer bracket, loose radius arm bolts, loose track bar adjuster, torn spring pads, a shifting steering box, a loose tie rod adjuster, loose anti-sway bar ends, and ball joints. I don't know if the 2019+ steering box mounting is beefed up as compared to the 2013-2018, which is really quite awful. The most random of the noises was from the ball joints, which were within stated mechanical specs... but noisy anyway.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Similar to what you mentioned above I had been exchanging emails with Don Thuren and he said the following

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 19 Longhorn dually is doing the same thing. Bad thing is, it does it every time I pull out of my shop and turn around. Right side only.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My 19 Longhorn dually is doing the same thing. Bad thing is, it does it every time I pull out of my shop and turn around. Right side only.

Bingo

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So quick update

I brought my truck in this week on Thursday. I had a couple small issues to look at as well. One of which is my front seat was a little loose.

Well they ordered parts for the seat and tire it apart before they diagnosed the clunk. This is irritating as it makes no sense from a business perspective.

Anyway short story they have it, it’s documented and more to come. We will see what they say.

I have a case number as well.

Side note they “fixed the hood” by adjusting the hood stops which I already did so though I am optimistic I am not so sure they are competent.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So quick update

I brought my truck in this week on Thursday. I had a couple small issues to look at as well. One of which is my front seat was a little loose.

Well they ordered parts for the seat and tire it apart before they diagnosed the clunk. This is irritating as it makes no sense from a business perspective.

Anyway short story they have it, it’s documented and more to come. We will see what they say.

I have a case number as well.

Side note they “fixed the hood” by adjusting the hood stops which I already did so though I am optimistic I am not so sure they are competent.

Good deal, I’m ready to get this fixed.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Showed them the video

They had it for a week
“Couldn’t duplicate”
“Normal”

I’ll be going through a private diesel shop and paying. Not giving up on it I’ll keep everyone posted.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts