Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

So my wife asked if we could go to an antique mall about 100 miles away. I said sure and we loaded up in the truck. 03 HO 4WD. We made it there, did some shopping, loaded up to head home. Stopped about halfway home for dinner. Continued home, and when we turned in the driveway, I heard a rapid fire clicking sound from my engine, and when I stopped my water pump was leaking all over the ground. Must've blown as soon as I turned in the driveway as it was leaking BAD, but the truck never overheated. I swapped the pump and it's back to running just fine, minus that rapid fire clicking. I heard it on warm up after the water pump swap. Doesn't appear to be in time with the revs, and went away after a couple mins, but damn if I can't locate it. I originally thought it was coolant hitting the rad fan when the pump blew, but now? No idea. TIA.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Does it make the sound when the truck is turning left or right or is it from the engine as the truck is just setting there idling? If it when turning and moving it’s a u-joint most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Trying to learn
5,576 Posts
Could you be confusing click with chirp?

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
124 Posts
Did coolant get on your belt? Drive belts make all kinds of noises when coolant or water get on them and may take awhile to go away. You can try and use a small wire brush on the ribbed side while its running to help clean it out, but be carefull! Usualy you'll hear chirping or screaching sounds from the belt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Recently I heard a clickiing also, noticed I was 2 gallon low on coolant. Haven't heard it since filling. But weird.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sound is at idle without truck moving so definitely not suspension related.

Noticed it mostly between 100 and 150 degrees while warming up.

Took some trips after swapping the pump yesterday and haven't heard it again since.

·
896 Posts
My 07.5 truck made the weirdest chirping noise and I replaced the idler pulley and checked the tensioner pulley to no avail. What it ended up being was the AC clutch was starting to go and at idle it just chirped. Couldn't hear it when driving though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmmm that actually sounds like it could be along the lines of what I was hearing. Kinda a metallic tick/clank/chirp? Goes away entirely once warm now. Aside from having an impossible to find A/C leak, it's working fine. I just have to recharge it twice a summer.

·
896 Posts
My mechanic ended up replacing the AC Compressor. I seem to recall the clutch and compressor was worn out. If you have a leak in your ac system it could be your compressor is past it's life.

·
Trying to learn
5,576 Posts
Hmmmmm that actually sounds like it could be along the lines of what I was hearing. Kinda a metallic tick/clank/chirp? Goes away entirely once warm now. Aside from having an impossible to find A/C leak, it's working fine. I just have to recharge it twice a summer.
On these 3rd Gen that hard to find A/C leal is almost always the compressor itself @ the front shaft seal. Best to just replace it.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
756 Posts
On these 3rd Gen that hard to find A/C leal is almost always the compressor itself @ the front shaft seal. Best to just replace it.
I concur I had a slow leak for years could not find it . I put Uv-dye in the system and with a uv flash light looked all over couldn’t find anything. One day I happen to be working under my truck and noticed right behind my ac compressor clutch it looked oily. Got the uv flash light out and bingo found the leak. To bad you can’t pull the cluch off and replace the seal. Such a waste to replace the hole Compressor like that . Oh well .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts