Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

front end bounce

3453 Views 16 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  railin 6.7
Has anyone had their front end bounce uncontrollably while driving highway speeds hitting bumps? If so, I was just curious as to what has failed on my front end or what I would need to replace to fix this problem. It feels like my front end is about to rip out when it does it. Any info appreciated.
thanks,ethan :thumbsup:
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
748 Posts
from what I have read from other people's experience - it could be a "death wobble". Just do a search on "death wobble" and you will find lots of information. It happens to a 4x4...

· Registered
155 Posts
I heard that the death wobble occurs rarely when you add 2" to the front of the truck...Do you have a leveling kit installed on your truck?

· Registered
198 Posts
Go to your dealer and tell them about it. They will update all of your steering components including tie rod ends, pitman arm, etc. with MUCH heavier duty parts. This is evidently a common problem and has a related TSB, my dealer had the parts in stock and had the truck back to me in less than 12 hours.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from what I have read from other people's experience - it could be a "death wobble". Just do a search on "death wobble" and you will find lots of information. It happens to a 4x4...
Thanks man! i will check that out. Ethan:thumbsup:

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the quick responses guy. Yes i do have the hbs 2" kit, should i get different shocks, pitman arm, stabilizer etc.

· Registered
748 Posts

· Registered
155 Posts
Man I would go back and check everything since you put the HBS 2" on there...Something isn't right...
The guy at the shop said that 1 out of ever 1,000 trucks will get the death wobble when they do the leveling kit and they haven't been able to fix it. The poor guy ends up having to take the leveling kit off and spend money on a more expensive way to lift his truck.

· Premium Member
8,859 Posts
Has anyone had their front end bounce uncontrollably while driving highway speeds hitting bumps? If so, I was just curious as to what has failed on my front end or what I would need to replace to fix this problem. It feels like my front end is about to rip out when it does it. Any info appreciated.
thanks,ethan :thumbsup:
i had it happen once hit a bump and the front end shook so bad i almost had to stop this was at high way speed and it has never happened again.

· Silver Bullet
253 Posts
On my o4.5 that i bought used from a dealler, i was coming home and hit where the old road met with the new one, a preety good bump. And the truck bounced so bad i had to slow down from 70 to 25 so it would stop. I took it back told them i wanted new front shocks and it cured it, never happened again.

· Registered
135 Posts
I had my trucks right side bouncing more than the other only had 9000 mi on the clock,the dealer said nothing wrong! had to argue a little. he would only put 1 shock on but cleard up the problem, Now with my XRT& all deletes they probley wont even do that for me,need some good shocks soon. as the factory shocks are crap.

· Premium Member
849 Posts
ive gotten it about 4 times. its not fun

· Registered
195 Posts
Did you replace the factory shocks?!

When I did the leveling kit in mine it had the death wobble cause I didn't change to longer shocks. My mistake- I had bilstein 5100's put on and no more issues at all and re ride is much better too!

· Premium Member
849 Posts
i have replaced the entire front end. shocks, springs, trac bar, steering shock... everything. it never did it til i changed all of that

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.