Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I would say so. I know on the 3rd gen's around here at least. it cost almost as much to have a driveline shop rebuild the front driveline with a cv as it does to buy a factory MOPAR front driveshaft from the Dealer.

·
Marble Crusher
1,857 Posts
Yes, i would replace the whole driveshaft.

-Jordan-

·
Registered
40 Posts
seems to me the dealer is selling these at a decent price these days

·
Registered
376 Posts
looks to be about replacement time. how many miles you got on that?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
on the truck i have 204xxx the driveshaft hasnt been in it since about 180xxx thanks for all the replys seems that ill be getting a new one

·
Registered
115 Posts
So how did ya make out with the driveshaft. I think I may to get one also.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't bought one yet but I seen a few place on the Internet from google search and found the price to be around 325 I think it was

·
Registered
926 Posts
I just rebuilt mine. Not bad to do, just had a couple issues with mixed up parts in boxes from parts stores.

I got a spicier sealed front u-joint for about $30, 2 brute force joints for the double cardamom at about $16 a piece I believe, and the center ball was around $30-$35 for a neapco. All the joints were straight forward, the ball was easy too. Just tap it down with a socket after cleaning up the old grease and adding some fresh grease. The double joints are a lil fun to get together with the pin/ball but nothing too crazy. Ish rebuild it again in a heartbeat before dropping 3-400 on a new one!

Oh and the dust shield by the ball is dealer only according to this site. Ish imagine a good driveline shop would have something though. I reused mine even though it was a lil beat up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah I just finished rebuilding mine. After owning several Cherokees for years, one gets good at u-joint replacement. One u-joint was a bit too wide. Popped the cap trying to get it to fit. Bought another brand and it fit perfectly. First time I seen a centre ball. Didn't know it was replacable. Still got a front rumble sound on acceleration and deceleration. Gonna have to yank the shaft out again. Oh well........that's how ya learn. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts