Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, I brought my 2018 Ram 2500 CTD 4X4 into the local Reno Dodge dealership for an oil change and front driveshaft lubrication..as required by the owners manual. The service writer told me some trucks do not have a fitting and lubrication of the front driveshaft may not be possible.
After a four hour wait to change the oil and filter, my truck was finished. The SR told me the driveshaft was not lubricated since there was no lubrication fitting. I asked him why that contradicts the requirement in my owner's manual and he said he didn't know.
In the past, I used a different dealer in Carson City for service and they apparently had no problem lubing the driveshaft...if they actually did it.
So who is right, is there or isnt there a way to lube the driveshaft? Was I lied to by the service writer? Or did FCA build trucks without the driveshaft fitting?
I know, I hate going to dealers and this will be my last visit at this one. The service tech who changed the oil on my truck left greasy palm prints on both fenders as well as leaving grease on the drivers side grab handle.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
It should be there, have you crawled under to look yourself? That would give you the 100% answer.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
i've owned 4 dodge cummins trucks all 4x4, only one had the lubrication point. the others did not. i even removed the driveline to find it.

·
All Stock
341 Posts
The fitting is small and on the double cardigan joint. It takes a needle adapter to inject grease. Damn service techs should know that.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
i've owned 4 dodge cummins trucks all 4x4, only one had the lubrication point. the others did not. i even removed the driveline to find it.
Were they all 4th gens?

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
There a PITA to find but it will be their, use a bright flashlight to find it.Also it mite be covered with dirt or what ever so use a narrow screw driver and a rag to clean the area or some carb cleaner.

Reactions: dadstillsurfs

·
Mod-Admin - Not a Newb in 3rd Gen only
14,012 Posts
There have been more than a couple of knowledgeable members who have stated about not having a lubrication point.
Because yours does, that doesn't mean they all do.

But I do agree about searching well, including the removal if necessary.

·
2,215 Posts
If you do find it, if you have one I would mark a line on the joint with a paint marker to make it easier to find next time.

Reactions: tnt_motorsports

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only thing I could find is this notch circled in red. Is this it?
Automotive lighting Hat Helmet Jaw Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The only thing I could find is this notch circled in red. Is this it? View attachment 942294
Picture is kind of blurry but it looks like the fitting up in there. If you can wipe it clean it should be a little silver fitting with a ball in the middle.

Wood Automotive tire Vehicle brake Gas Motor vehicle

·
Registered
447 Posts
On my 2011 3500, there is a decal placed under the hood near the washer fluid fill area that clearly indicates the required service regarding greasing the front drive shaft. I have never had any issues by the Dealer with greasing the front drive shaft.
Secondly, I would have pointed out the grease left on my grab handle as this may leave a perminante grease stain. I don't or never have worked at a Dealership but I don't believe the Service Manager would be happy about this.

I have always thought, during assembly, Chrysler would have wanted to mark the grease point area or provide an easier way to grease the front drive shaft.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Last week, I brought my 2018 Ram 2500 CTD 4X4 into the local Reno Dodge dealership for an oil change and front driveshaft lubrication..as required by the owners manual. The service writer told me some trucks do not have a fitting and lubrication of the front driveshaft may not be possible.
After a four hour wait to change the oil and filter, my truck was finished. The SR told me the driveshaft was not lubricated since there was no lubrication fitting. I asked him why that contradicts the requirement in my owner's manual and he said he didn't know.
In the past, I used a different dealer in Carson City for service and they apparently had no problem lubing the driveshaft...if they actually did it.
So who is right, is there or isnt there a way to lube the driveshaft? Was I lied to by the service writer? Or did FCA build trucks without the driveshaft fitting?
I know, I hate going to dealers and this will be my last visit at this one. The service tech who changed the oil on my truck left greasy palm prints on both fenders as well as leaving grease on the drivers side grab handle.
You will have to confitm if the grease fitting is there by feel, as it may not be visible. Have to crawl under with 4 wheel drive disengaged. The aft ward double cardan is the one that is likely hidden. The others should be visible. Turn the shaft in quarter turn at a time and poke a finger into the center of the u-joint. Should be able to feel a zerk fitting at one of the four center corners of the aft ward u-joint of the double cardan. My 1998 has grease fittings on all front drive shaft joints. But I did have it overhauled at a local drive shaft specialty shop, so these are not original u-joints. But I'm having an issue with greasing the double cardan joint. The forward joint is no problem. The aft ward joint has poor access for a grease gun. It is a straight zerk fitting. Grease gun hose fitting must be pressed on from the side. The cross member is immediately below, and cab floor is immediately above. Cannot press firmly on greese gun hose fitting. I have even put a 1/8 steel pipe with 90 degree elbow on the grease gun to get a direct fit, as it is impossible to get enough bend on the rubber grease gun hose. But in the confined location, it is impossible to press the arrangement on tightly.

Due to poor visibility, it is impossible to see if any grease gets pushed past the u-joint seals to indicate that any went in. I'd like to fit an angular zerk fitting. A 45 degree zerk would probably protrude and be mangled upon rotation. A 30 degree fitting would be too tight too the u-joint to get the hose nozzel on. I have not been able to fing a 60 dergree zerk. They do not seem to exist. Have tried the drive shaft overhaul shop and several bearing and motion machinery suppliers. Nobody seems to have a 60 degree zerk. It is a long job dismantle and fit back the drive shaft to trial fit zerk fittings. Need to be sure of the first try. Anyone have any ideas? Perhaps your dealer did not grease yours because of the access issue. To get access, the front drive shaft might need to be removed, quite rediculous, but what shop is going to spend the time do do that? If you still have warranty, you may have a claim to make them do the dismantle at no charge, as the maintenance instructions require it be greased.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
You will have to confitm if the grease fitting is there by feel, as it may not be visible. Have to crawl under with 4 wheel drive disengaged. The aft ward double cardan is the one that is likely hidden. The others should be visible. Turn the shaft in quarter turn at a time and poke a finger into the center of the u-joint. Should be able to feel a zerk fitting at one of the four center corners of the aft ward u-joint of the double cardan. My 1998 has grease fittings on all front drive shaft joints. But I did have it overhauled at a local drive shaft specialty shop, so these are not original u-joints. But I'm having an issue with greasing the double cardan joint. The forward joint is no problem. The aft ward joint has poor access for a grease gun. It is a straight zerk fitting. Grease gun hose fitting must be pressed on from the side. The cross member is immediately below, and cab floor is immediately above. Cannot press firmly on greese gun hose fitting. I have even put a 1/8 steel pipe with 90 degree elbow on the grease gun to get a direct fit, as it is impossible to get enough bend on the rubber grease gun hose. But in the confined location, it is impossible to press the arrangement on tightly.

Due to poor visibility, it is impossible to see if any grease gets pushed past the u-joint seals to indicate that any went in. I'd like to fit an angular zerk fitting. A 45 degree zerk would probably protrude and be mangled upon rotation. A 30 degree fitting would be too tight too the u-joint to get the hose nozzel on. I have not been able to fing a 60 dergree zerk. They do not seem to exist. Have tried the drive shaft overhaul shop and several bearing and motion machinery suppliers. Nobody seems to have a 60 degree zerk. It is a long job dismantle and fit back the drive shaft to trial fit zerk fittings. Need to be sure of the first try. Anyone have any ideas? Perhaps your dealer did not grease yours because of the access issue. To get access, the front drive shaft might need to be removed, quite rediculous, but what shop is going to spend the time do do that? If you still have warranty, you may have a claim to make them do the dismantle at no charge, as the maintenance instructions require it be greased.
None of this information is of any value to the OP. His 18 has no fittings in the u joints. It has one fitting in the centering ball/ socket.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
they all have one greese point, ity is not a zerk type, it takes a needle point tip to grease it, it is located on the rear of the front drive shaft its hard to find it in the double ujoint, which i call a cv joint, its there. my local dealer said the same thing you were told and I never went back to that dealer again, I bought a needle point tip for my grease gun and do it my self.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There’s a fitting in the cardan joint that takes a special fitting to grease it. Every Dodge dealership garage should know about it. If they don’t, steer clear of that garage. Here’s a video of it and how to geese it.

Reactions: cowboy Mike

·
Registered
393 Posts
On my 2011 3500, there is a decal placed under the hood near the washer fluid fill area that clearly indicates the required service regarding greasing the front drive shaft. I have never had any issues by the Dealer with greasing the front drive shaft.
Secondly, I would have pointed out the grease left on my grab handle as this may leave a perminante grease stain. I don't or never have worked at a Dealership but I don't believe the Service Manager would be happy about this.

I have always thought, during assembly, Chrysler would have wanted to mark the grease point area or provide an easier way to grease the front drive shaft.
I have the decal as well, and still had multiple dealerships tell me there was no grease fitting. I finally had to figure it out myself.

·
2,215 Posts
they all have one greese point, ity is not a zerk type, it takes a needle point tip to grease it, it is located on the rear of the front drive shaft its hard to find it in the double ujoint, which i call a cv joint, its there. my local dealer said the same thing you were told and I never went back to that dealer again, I bought a needle point tip for my grease gun and do it my self.
It's called a double cardon joint. A cv joint is completely different.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was told if the sticker was there, then it needs greased. I spent 40 mins looking for it the first time, then stabbed myself with the stupid needle! lol ... To be honest, I have greased the cardon joint numerous times, I KNOW it is there, yet I still spend a ridiculous amount of time looking EVERY time! It's so flippin small and gets so much dirt and grunge! Also I recommend you RUN from that dealer as fast as possible. Have fun!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts