Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
soooo my you joints in my trucks front drive shaft are shot and i called the dodge dealer and they want 600 bucks to replace them! and only 300 for a new driveshaft. anyone replace the ujoints ever in the front drive shaft???

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have on my 96 3500 , there are 3 U-joints and a few other parts , total cost was about $250.00 in parts . did it myself at work

·
Registered
22 Posts
some of the scenarios I typically quote a new driveshaft to customers. The parts and labor cost to replace u-joints is not cheap. I can get a brand new driveshaft and install it for the same if not less many times and no worries about somebody getting it out of balance beating on it, or damaging needle bearings on assembly, getting dirt in the caps, etc.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I would never ever ever put factory u-joints back in my truck. There are way to many superior products out there. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Google "Tom Woods". He makes custom drive shafts, u-joints etc. I've used his stuff on my Jeep for years and you can't beat the quality. Or see if you have a "U-Joints Inc." nearby. They are great to deal with.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
would a aftermarket shaft be any better then a factory one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Be advised, I screwed up my constant valosity joint trying to get the universals out. There are more parts in there than you can see. I broke off the pilot stub that centers the valosity joint. cost to repair my shaft, $550.00. They had to cut off the end of the shaft and replace it with a new one, plus run out test and balance it. Tackle the rear shaft yourself, but take the front one in to a shop, unless you can find someone that has done it before. Learn from my mistake!

·
Registered
282 Posts
pumpwrech is right, doing the front one can be tricky because of the spring loaded ball. You need 3 u-joints and a ball kit to do the job. If the shaft is off the vehicle, a fair price to rebuild it (providing the CV is the only issue) is around $275.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Be advised, I screwed up my constant valosity joint trying to get the universals out. There are more parts in there than you can see. I broke off the pilot stub that centers the valosity joint. cost to repair my shaft, $550.00. They had to cut off the end of the shaft and replace it with a new one, plus run out test and balance it. Tackle the rear shaft yourself, but take the front one in to a shop, unless you can find someone that has done it before. Learn from my mistake!
thats is the exact same thing i did with mine. that is why i need a new one now

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
does anyone got the part number for a new shaft for a automatic?

·
Registered
88 Posts
+1 on taking the front shaft to a reputable shop. I pulled mine out Saturday and all was going well until I tried to put the CV back together and took a BFH to it because the CV wasn't going together. Apparently the pilot stub wasn't aligned with the needle bearings when I thought they were already in. It added $119 to the repair. The bummer is that it was the rear driveshaft that had the vibration after all. 1/2 hour later it was changed and the problem was solved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.