Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my truck was at the dealer getting a new A/C box installed I also got a good deal on an oil change. I asked to make sure they greased the front driveshaft. Dealer said he never heard of this, tech said this also. I looked with the tech and we could not find the pin zerk fitting on the shaft (transfer case side). This is the first oil change on my new to me truck and the sticker under the hood also says to grease the shaft and shows the location. You would think a big Dodge dealer would know about this. What am I missing!!!!
Rock

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Tell them to get light under the truck and look for it up by the transfer case. They may need to turn the drive shaft to find it, but its there. I have a 2006 and I had to show my dealer where it was as it was there first 2006 they had seen. BTW, They added this grease spot to the trucks starting in 2006 so by now all dealerships should know about it as 2007's have it and I assume the 2008's do too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
U Joint

The truck was on the rack and I looked with the tech with a light as the drive shaft was rotated and could not find a lube point. The bad part is even if I found it he could not lube since all they have is a grease gun with a regular zerk fitting.
Rock

·
Registered
637 Posts
The truck was on the rack and I looked with the tech with a light as the drive shaft was rotated and could not find a lube point. The bad part is even if I found it he could not lube since all they have is a grease gun with a regular zerk fitting.
Rock
You need a 1 1/2" needle nose grease dispenser. Napa part #715-1251. there's an indented nipple on the u-joint to insert the needle nose and squeeze grease trigger.

·
Registered
249 Posts
cant believe so many "techs" dont know how to do this.
You would think its part of warranty training

·
Registered
116 Posts
I looked for mine last time it was on the lift, and never found it. I think my 05 had the fitting. I had 3 people look for it and no one found the fitting. I even bought the neddle to grease it with. Dose any one have any pics????

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
joe03dodge,

IIRC 2005's did not have the grease point, they started adding it to the front joint on 2006 model trucks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i have a 2006 but it was made in 05 i have look for it and never found it

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I have a 05 i dont think i have a grease point i have looked the best i could

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found it.

I finally found it. My new to me 06 was sprayed under the frame by the dealer to make it look nice. It looks like after they pressure washed the under side and sprayed black paint it covered the needle fitting. I spent about 1/2 hour under the truck with a small wire brush cleaning off the paint from the u joint and under a piece of painted dirt there it was. My truck is an early 06 and I also thought it had the old style non greasable u joint. I am going back to the dealer to find out why the required service is not done.
Rock

·
Registered
841 Posts
This is the fitting I like the best. Also alot easier if you use a pistol-grip gun. Also painted a dot on bottom of drive shaft in the correct position (like the previous pic shows) so it's easier to find from then on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an 05 and it has the needle type greese fitting on the cv joint on the front drive shaft. I always greese it every oil change.

·
Banned
21 Posts
joe03dodge,

IIRC 2005's did not have the grease point, they started adding it to the front joint on 2006 model trucks.
I have a early 05 and mine has the grease fitting and the sticker on the rad support.

·
Registered
70 Posts
that must be what my truck is missing and why it makes a squeak, squeak, squeak sound as I drive.

I thought the noise was from the brakes for a while until I lifted the front wheels off the ground and traced it to the front drive shaft u joints.....any ideas how to stop the squeak if it has no lube point??

·
Registered
460 Posts
I know my 04.5 had one...it was difficult to find unless it, by chance, wound up on the bottom side of the joint when it was parked. My 06 has one too, but I went out there tonight to lube it up and I couldn't find it and too lazy to go and rotate the shaft to line it up.

I read a post from someone who said that the dealer had lubed theirs up, but the mechanic used a spray can of lithium grease and used the straw to spray it up in there. So that's what i bought from amsoil and now i can't find it again. I'll get to it eventually, 53k miles and nothing has fell of yet...so not too concerned about it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just a followup...it's there
it was covered in grease. Once i brushed it clean, i was able to get in there and lube that sucker up. 53k miles worth :rof

:beer

·
Registered
91 Posts
My early 05 has it, sticker on rad. support also. Owners manual says there are NO greasable joints though?

·
Registered
4 Posts
OUR DEALER HERE ALSO JUST SPRAYS LITHIUM UP IN THERE i TOLD THEM THAT WHAT THEY WERE DOING IS A JOKE AS NOTHING MAKES IT into the sealed joint itself but they said they'd been doing it like that for ever, new dealer time

1 - 20 of 33 Posts