Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any share a pic and/ or a part # of the needle fitting they use to grease the front drive shaft. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts

·
On call 24/7
12,397 Posts
^^^^^^That is too big. The thinnest needle the parts store had, Performance Tool W54213

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Performance Tool W54213 is an actual needle; very small and looks sharp like for poking a hole. If the front driveshaft on the 2018 is the same as 2015, the grease fitting I posted is the one.

·
On call 24/7
12,397 Posts
Ha, we may both be stabbing in the dark. If the fitting for his 18 is like my 12, it will take the small needle.

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
If you jack up the front of the truck with the frame it will cause the CV joint more angle and it will be easier to get the needle in the zert.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The Tractor Supply Needle looks to be of good quality. Although I am not an engineer, you would have thought there would be a better/easier grease point for the driveshaft ?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I use something like this...

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The Tractor Supply Needle looks to be of good quality. Although I am not an engineer, you would have thought there would be a better/easier grease point for the driveshaft ?
I would think they could come up with a sealed joint.

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
Although I am not an engineer, you would have thought there would be a better/easier grease point for the driveshaft ?
You could put an extension hose on the fitting, but then you'd have to stop and unravel it ever so often.

I would think they could come up with a sealed joint.
Apparently the '19s have something like that. At least the whole CV joint is enclosed in rubber or plastic, from the looks of it.
I still prefer being able to see components, and don't mind using a grease gun.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I read that in the ‘19 threads. I don’t care for greasing new vehicles. I don’t remember how many grease points our ‘53 has. Every time I crawl under it I find a new one or three.

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
I read that in the ‘19 threads. I don’t care for greasing new vehicles. I don’t remember how many grease points our ‘53 has. Every time I crawl under it I find a new one or three.
I think a stock Jeep flatfender has 29 Zerks. And it takes at least two cartridges to lube the Pete.
But in the process I get to see and/or feel how things are doing down there.

True, you don't have to grease anything and can just take a leisurely creeper tour under the vehicle every now and then, but how many people do that?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
True, you don't have to grease anything and can just take a leisurely creeper tour under the vehicle every now and then, but how many people do that?
This guy. That’s why I like doing my own routine maintenance. It’s a good time to look around.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The sales hook one the new ones says everything has no maintenance needed, lubed and sealed for life. That's not your life, the parts life. Things still wear out. So now you buy parts and not tubes of lube. Remember that the front DS only moves when in 4x4 mode due to the front axle disco. So mine has spun for maybe 10 miles total. I believe that front DS zert is the only one on the truck.

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Greasing a front driveshaft on a part-time 4wd system with a CAD front axle is pointless. (model years '94-02' and '14-current) There's no amount of time you'll use the 4wd to justify the time and effort you'll exert under there.

But if you have a 4wd system which does not (some 02's - '13) then you'll find it "may" help to offer some occasional lube to a constant spinning front driveshaft, but still probably a waste of time depending on driving conditions.

Although, its common knowledge in most driveline shops that a non-greaseable u-joint will far outlast any greaseable u-joint. They're stronger, better sealed, and can last the life of the vehicle depending on conditions. But people love to be able to squish out all that dirty water contaminated goo thinking they're doing good, where in reality that dirty water contamination is only getting in there because the greaseable joints have such weak seals just to allow you to pump in more grease. Its really a silly design...

As for the double cardan ball joint, well those are susceptible to over-usage if the joint angle is too extreme and they spin too fast. Thats what causes most of the driveline vibrations we all read about where thousands of people complain that their trucks vibrate right off the dealer lots. For whatever reason Dodge/Ram have those year trucks running poor front driveline angles for a constant running driveline. Then add a lift and you're just asking for more problems.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts