Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i think thats says enough. Im not in four wheel drive, hubs are not locked. Whats the deal? Any ideas? Is this normal?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Give us some details on your truck..

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
yea we need details some do not have hubs that can unlock

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just updated my profile, but its an 07 5.9 all stock. It has 11,000 miles on it. I was leaving work today and some asked me why i was in four wheel drive. Of course im not. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
maybe i am wrong but i dont think that truck has aut hubs. my 03 has hubs that are basically always locked because they do not disengage, they are not that style. i beleive yours should be the same. just your transfer case engages so then it would be normal to see the driveshaft spin because it allways does. i am not sure who told you you had auto disengageing hubs but i beleive they are mistaken

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
You don't have locking/unlocking hubs. Pop off your hub caps and you'll find a big nut, just like a front wheel drive car. It is called a live front end. The only disconnect point in the transfer case. When you're in 2WD, your front axle and drive shaft will still spin. This is completely normal and by design.

2001 was the last year of the center axle disconnect on the Dana 60 front ends. 2002 trucks (most of em) have live Dana 60 fronts, and 2003 and newer trucks have live AAM front ends.

oh and automatic hubs
You might have an electric shifting transfer case, but there are no actuating hubs on these Dodge trucks

-Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
yea bud its normal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, i knew i had automatic hubs, but i did not know about the front drive shaft. I learn something new everyday on this site.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Thanks guys, i knew i had automatic hubs, but i did not know about the front drive shaft. I learn something new everyday on this site.
You don't have automatic hubs. You don't have manual hubs. You just have a nut on the hub. They are always locked and there is nothing that unlocks them. The only thing automatic is your electronic-shifting transfer case. Going from 2wd to 4wd changes nothing in your front end.:beer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts