Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so stickies at top for fluid specs/capacities tells me that my front diff takes 8.5 pints which equates to 4.25 quarts. Serviced and it only allowed about 3.5 quarts before hitting fill plug. What am i missing? 3.54 gear ratio, dont know if that makes a difference

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thays the exact spec sheet I use and it has been accurate to the drop till now. I'm a bit confused. Unless my math is wrong! 8.5 pts is 4.25 quarts right? I'm no Einstein lol. 🙄

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Have you confirmed it's a dana 60 and not a 44??
Are there Cummins equipped trucks that came with Dana 44's ???
I thought all the Diesels got Dana 60's in the front and either Dana 70's or Dana 80's in the rear.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Right. I thought the Dana 44 was more a 1/2 ton application
8-Lug Dana 44's exist in the world as the axle has been around forever, generally find them on older gasser Chevrolet's (some even came with birfield type axle joints) . I just didn't know/ don't know if they were ever put under 2nd gen Dodge Cummins trucks.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I was just tossing the idea out that someone previously might have swapped the front axle and not mentioned it.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a Dana 60. Marked on the Drivers side. Right by cover. It only took 3.5 quarts. Wierd, bit I'm not too worried. It's up to the fill plug I'll assume im good.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
"Serviced" = removed diff cover & wiped out the old oil or used a suction gun through the fill port?

·
Registered
19,423 Posts
My 99 owners manual simply says within 1/4 in =/- the bottom of fill hole. Mine also took 3.5 quarts. 4.5 must be a misprint.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Removed cover, inspected and wiped out old oil must have been 1/4" of sludge at the bottom of the differential. I did the rear end before winter and that was pretty clean and clear surprisingly... but the front......different story. I wonder if the previous owner thought it was only a rear wheel drive 😂

1 - 13 of 13 Posts