Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 2500 5.9 is leaking oil from around the seal at the crank/front of engine. Does that whole front cover have to come off the replace that seal, or can the harmonic balancer wheel/belt pully be pulled and replace the seal with the cover on? I'm probobly going to take it in to someone as phyisicly I can't do it. Thanks for any reply.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If its where I think it's the front cover gasket take off fan and belt and take care of the killer dowl pin while you are there. mine came out and cracked the case taking it to someone monday to put a new case and advance my timming.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My 97 2500 5.9 is leaking oil from around the seal at the crank/front of engine. Does that whole front cover have to come off the replace that seal, or can the harmonic balancer wheel/belt pully be pulled and replace the seal with the cover on? I'm probobly going to take it in to someone as phyisicly I can't do it. Thanks for any reply.
it could be the front main or front cover gasket. if its the front main you can do it without takin the front cover off. but it might be a good idea to pull the cover and tab the killer dowl pin. just silicone the front cover back on after you do it. the cover is stamped steel and silicone seals it better then the gasket ever will because of imperfections or improper torque on the cover. when you change the seal for the front main get one with a wear sleeve if its scratched at all. and make sure there isnt one on it when you try to put the new one on

·
Registered
770 Posts
Its possible to replace it with the cover on. But the trouble you would have to go thru to do it. It would be faster and easier to pull the cover. Your chances of it leaking again will be less if you remove the cover, since the crank needs to be completlly free of oil on the reinstall.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i had mine done at a shop. they took the cover off to do the kdp, the effed the seal i bought for it because they didn't realize there was an installation tool when they put it back on. they bought a new seal and put it on with the cover on, and 4 months later i still have no leak from there(knock on wood), which was a pretty significant leak. although my power steering is throwing up fluid like its something cool to do(AWESOME!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the info. It's leaking from the main seal. I have been reading about the killer dowl pin but do understand where it is. Sounds like a alining pit for the cover, that vibrates or comes out inside the engine, yea? I wrenched on my rigs all my life and now I have to look the jobs over, so that I don't write checks that may /back can't cash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.