Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I decided to buy the Tuff Truck coil springs that I posted above. They raised the front end up almost 3" from where it was sitting. That got back the 1" that it was sagging from stock and the 2" that they advertised. I went ahead and got the stronger, heavy duty springs and while they are stiffer, they really do make the truck feel more secure on the road. I no longer bottom out the front and slide around during emergency braking where before it would bottom out and defeat the ABS. I hung my 100 lbs winch on the front receiver of the Ranch Hand and noticed nothing adverse with the weight. No real change honestly.

It doesn't ride noticeably stiffer, only very similar but with a reasonable ride height without bottoming out.

The stock ride height +2 with the extra heavy springs is borderline high for me but I will deal with it. I am not a fan of leveling kits in general, and this one isn't fully leveled, but it isn't far from it. I probably would have gotten the height I wanted with the softer springs +2" so that they could compress down and use more travel. I feel like I'm on the top end of the suspension stroke with these springs but I think that will help me when I get a truck camper or another RV. I don't dislike where it sits enough to spend another $250 to change springs again, but since I didn't have a point of reference before, it is what it is. All the math that I had done prior to purchase added up and they were exactly as advertised. I think the stock height heavy duty springs would still be lower than I wanted which would leave the softer springs +2.

All in all, I really like how it changed the truck's drive-ability. I no longer have dive and wallow in hard turns or around roundabouts and it feels so much more stable. If you have ever ridden a 3 wheeler back in the day, my truck reminded me of a 3 wheeler in how insecure it felt in sharp turns prior to the spring swap. I know it wouldn't roll over like a 3 wheeler would, but it had that same weight transfer that made it feel unstable just the same. The truck also felt like it was plowing the front tires all the time because of all the additional weight on them with the stock springs. Now that the front end is higher and some weight transfer has been shifted a little more to the back, it doesn't plow as much as it used to. I haven't driven it enough to track a mileage difference yet but I'm sure I'll lose at least 1-1.5 MPG just due to the height of the front being raised 3".

I'm a fan of the decision and am really glad that it wasn't too hard to swap them out. It only took a couple hours and made a huge difference in my truck. I'm much happier with it now. Thanks for all the suggestions and assistance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Definitely going to look into this.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts