Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2nd time in the 1st 80K miles on my truck that I have had to replace the front brakes. When I tow I am using a brake control unit and I am using the best parts I can buy from the local parts store. This last set only lasted 15K miles.

Are there aftermarket Calipers, rotors and pads that you can use on the front of an 04 2WD 3500 that will last more than 15K miles? This is ridiculous!

Help Please!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I average around 50-80k on my front brakes. I tow/haul and am generally hard on them as I have larger than stock tires an a huge ranch hand bumper. I run the stock calipers with hawk pads and napa ultra premium rotors, never had a complaint or issue. I get the pads from genos garage. If you want to really go all out on the brakes, look into EGR, they build very high quality stuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm on my third set of pads with only 90k miles, and they sound like brakes on a cop car... They even squeal when I am completely off of them!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I just went and purchased another set of pads. This will be my 3rd set of fronts in 50,000 miles. I keep buying crappy Autozone brand pads which may be the problem.

I am sure my driving style is to blame...but I expected atleast a year or so out a single set.

I will purchase better pads for the next go around from either Genos or another vendor.

·
Registered
116 Posts
brake pads

i have an uncle who complaines all the time about brakes not lasting,,, and when you drive behind him his brakes lights are on 70% of the time:buttkick: just saying:S:

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
If the brake system components are in good condition (no stickng caliper sliders, pistons, etc.) and you are using the best pads available the other variables are weight, towing or not, area you drive in (flat/hilly/mountainous, city/highway) and driving style.
Driving style probably has the biggest affect as that will also tie into all the other variables.
Have to remember diesels have zero compression braking. I always try to get others to anticipate when the brakes will be needed. Hard the loud pedal = hard on the brakes (alot of the time). This is just an example here, if you arfe driving in an area with alot of traffic lights and you're tooling along , the lights been green in your direction for a substantial amount of time and you're still a good ways back odds are it'll be going red before you make the intersection. Start coasting, no need to be on the loud pedal all the way to the intersection. This is just one axample of many. I try to drive at least 1/8>1/4 mile in front of the truck and anticipate what is going on ahead. Saves the brakes saves on fuel.
I've had an '03 QCLB 4x4 dually a '03 QCLB 4x4 SRW and my current '04.5 QCLB 4x4 SRW and I always get between 90 and 100k miles from the front brakes. Towing and/or empty. When I did tow is approx 50% of the time with a 10k trailer.
I am not some old time slow poke driver by any stretch and I'm NOT getting on anyone's case about driving style either so don't take it that way.
Just trying to help out.

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
My '98.5 had an auto and I would bomb down hills that my current manual will descend in complete control without touching the brakes. Must be driveline drag or something,but it sure is nice!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
i put on ebc slotted and dotted rotors and yellow stuff pads...i have about 5k miles on them and they are far superior then anything ive had before...it really shows at the track....crossing the traps:thumbsup:..i would suggest green stuff pads for you....:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts