Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this truck recently, and it had 8 tons of steering play. I checked it all, and found the box had almost all the play in it. I replaced the box, all good. I poked around with trying to set up and align it myself. In doing so, I noticed my drivers lower control arm had the box crushed right before the axle end bushing. I started measuring, and found that the axle is shifted 1" to the driver side! What gives? I immediately looked again at the track bar, and can see no movement in either the bushing or the chassis joint. Correct me, but isn't that the only real lateral location point for the axle? I know the control arms contribute, but only somewhat. Anyone else seen this? The truck is stock height, so I don't get this. :banghead: At the moment, I'm planning straightening/boxing of control arms, poly bushing install, and possibly a new/adjustable track bar. Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
the axle will move side to side as the suspension moves up and down. as the suspension moves down, the axle will go past center and stick out to the passenger side

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
exactly why i need new coils or 3" spacers instead of 2"

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the axle will move side to side as the suspension moves up and down. as the suspension moves down, the axle will go past center and stick out to the passenger side
But surely the answer isn't to lower my 4wd truck. An adjustable track bar, maybe? As an ASE master tech of 14yrs now, I can think of several ways to fix this.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
is 6 of one, half dozen of the other...

if you centre the axle while it sits parked (thats easy enough to do), when you compress the suspension going over bumps the axle will push WAYYY out to the passenger side.

Dont worry about it, thats just how the lovely dodge engineered suspension works! :D (thats what you get for using a track/panhard bar)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it aligned. Tracks straight, drives straight. Good enough for me!

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
my left tire wears weird.... new balljoints on both sides, upper and lower, new wheel bearings last year.... but i do need a new trac bar and 3" spacers cause of my longer control arms

1 - 7 of 7 Posts