Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm currently sourcing rear DS u joints from Dennys. I'd like to find US made greaseable joints but Dennys has good prices on AAM, including my AAM 1485s. I'm just waiting to hear what they recommend.
I put in, had put in greasable ones I got from NAPA, don't remember what brand they were. I have the paperwork some place but am currently packing and moving stuff. So far, I love them. Grab, shake, grease,,, good to go. The lockable grease gun tip helps a lot when greasing them..

·
Premium Member
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 68RFE 4 inch lift
2,027 Posts
Greasable u joints aren’t as strong as a solid and the seals on a solid are better.

·
White Lightning
14,055 Posts
Greasable u joints aren’t as strong as a solid and the seals on a solid are better.
Unless you’re pulling a sled 16 weekends per year and have 900 hp.....the greasable u-joints will be just fine for the majority of people.

Reactions: 7492

·
White Lightning
14,055 Posts
Factory is non greaseable, wonder why?
I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express tonight....but, if I were guessing, so they’d wear out quicker and yield more service trips to a dealership?

·
White Lightning
14,055 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 68RFE 4 inch lift
2,027 Posts
The seals aren’t as good as a solid, that’s why ya gotta grease them.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So I have the passenger side torn apart, and looking down the axle tube, it appears there is a splined collar that has moved and won’t allow the shaft to go back in. I can reach in there and move it back, but gravity takes over before I can get the shaft back in. Should it have been in 4th before removing shaft? Too late to put it in 4wd and see if I can get it back in? The collar just seems loose in there, not sure what it is, but doesn’t appear broken or anything

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Try putting it in 4wd. If that doesn’t work you may have to remove the CAD motor in order to hold the collar wile replacing the shaft. Nothing is broken, it’s just the CAD collar that locks the shafts together.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I put it in 4wd with the axle shaft removed, then reached in there and tried to move the collar. As soon as i raised it up some, it locked into place, allowing me to get the axle back in. Got both sides done, no major issues to speak of, other than 87k miles worth of rusted bolts and hubs. I used a small 11 ton press to get the old joints out, as the press I rented from oreillys was too small. Didn't appear to have any issues with the ears getting bent. Definitely fixed the issue i was having, steering is smooth and no more vibration.

Reactions: 6.7L_MegaCab
21 - 35 of 35 Posts