Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i am in the process of replacing my front axle u joints (wheel joints). So far i have removed the tire, brake caliper, disk brake, and loosend the 4 bolts on the back side. and now i can not seem to get the hub and bearing separated...i have tryed using the socket and extention with no luck ( i may be doing it wrong if anyone can refresh my memory on exactly how it is done and which bolt to put the extention on i would appreciate it). i am also not sure what kind of puller will work. And do you have to remove the ball joints also??? if anyone can point me in the right direction i could really use it.:banghead:

·
Tennesse Chapter President
1,614 Posts
the bearing has to come out, but the ball joints dont. The bearings are a pain. Try the front side then back, back and forth. On one side of mine, we had to do the socket trick, but with pressure on it, we hit the spindle, and it seemed to help loosen it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
the ball joints stay. i use a 7 ton puller from bumper to bumper. it has three fingers and a bolt type deal with a point that fits in the end of the spindle and it comes in a box that you put everything together. then just crank away with a big breaker bar. its scary but the sucker comes off.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Use some PB blaster or pentrating oil and let it soak in around the back side of the hub bearing and opening of the steering knuckle. I backed out the bearing bolts to about 1/4" and using an impact socket and a sacraficial 2" extension, position the extension against the "snout" of the axle housing and use the hydraulic pressure of the power steering to pop them loose alternating front bolts and rear bolts. Back out the bolts a little farther each time it starts to give. Hope this makes sense. After doing mine the first time by myself (took about 4 hours for one side) I could get the other one out in under 45 min.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after the hub and bearing is separated will the axle and u joint fit through the hole in the spindle where the bearing came out of ? i havent got the bearing separated yet but it seems like even when i do that the axle and u joint wont fit through the spindle, but im probably wrong?

·
Registered
248 Posts
It would have to if they're saying you don't have to take the balljoints out.

·
Registered
601 Posts
it will just slide out. i put anti seize on the wheel bearing when i put it back together so its easier to get apart the next time. i've done both sides on mine and had them both apart i can tear it down in bout 20 min ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts