Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my truck on the lift today to change the oil and i noticed that my pinion seal is leaking and also where the driver side axle tube meets the pumpkin, so i am going to the dealer to tell them i want a new axle, only 15000 miles and used it once.

Anyone else experience this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't get your hopes up and don't be too disappointed when they shoot you down.

While you've only used 4x4 a couple of times, the axle parts have been spinning for 15,000 miles.

The dealer will probably replace the seal. They may also check the alignment and see if the axle is bent.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i know thats what they will say. but its pretty ridicolus to have the seal leaking already. and plus the tube is leaking too. But i aint one to back down and i am not scared of telling them what i really feel oh well if they wont work on it, off to the next stealership.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
I put my truck on the lift today to change the oil and i noticed that my pinion seal is leaking and also where the driver side axle tube meets the pumpkin, so i am going to the dealer to tell them i want a new axle, only 15000 miles and used it once.

Anyone else experience this.
Dude, if they shut you down, go to sealy and they will get you fixed up right. new axle. let me know if you are going to have to go there so i can let the fellow know that you are coming!!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
A new axle for some leaking seals? A little too drastic don't you think? Just have them replace the seals.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
A new axle for some leaking seals? A little too drastic don't you think? Just have them replace the seals.
are you saying that where the tube slides into the Pumpkin that there is a seal that can be replaced even though the tube is welded to the pumpkin?

is that right? i am very ignorant when it comes to a axle!!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
yes. They call them inner axle seals. They have to pull the diff out of the axle to replace them.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
i see, did not know that, i figured since they are welded there is no need for a seal

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
oh yeah, nothings worse than rebuiling your axle and forgetting to replace the 20 year old inner axle seals after everything is buttoned up.

Pools of gear oil under your wheels suck.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I have a seal leaking where my front drive shaft goes into the front diff....I but can't get in to the dealer till the middle of June

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Either way if they just replace the seals its going to take them days to do a couple hours of work.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
with my luck they won't do it under warrenty because I have mag-hytec diff covers. since I had my truck theyhave not done one thing under warrenty because of my mods but i'll see if they will fix this issue.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I can see and understand the pinion seal leaking. That's not Chryslers fault. Just replace the seal. As far as the tube leaking..... The inner axle seal has nothing to do with that. If the inner axle seal is leaking, you'll have some axle lube leaking from the end of the tube near the knuckle. It sounds like your axle is wet where the rosette welds are where the tube connects to the diff housing. Is that right? which side? Drivers or pass.? If it the drivers side, Could it be the engine breather just dripping a bit on the axle? I've seen that before. Cause the breather tube is right above that spot.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it is where the tube connects to the housing on the driver side, i didnt think about looking up to see if anything is leaking ie breather or blow by, but this isnt the first time its been on the lift. and havent had any oil there before, but i will get under my truck again today after work.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Well.........Any updates on your leak issue?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts