Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I really need some help on the 97 Ram 2500 Diesel/ATS auto tranny.

Looks like my loss of 4x4 engagement issues just got worse. Just to recap, the diaphragm on the CAD failed and I decided to upgrade to the Posi-Lok unit.

Now that I removed actuator cover, I found that the PO must have taken some liberties with the splines on the inner shaft. See pics. They've turned to dust.

I've removed axles on my old Internationals before, but this will be the first "newer" Dodge 4x4 I've worked on.

Anything special I should know about or any tools or seals that I'll need to replace at the same time?

Seems pretty straight forward since the axle floats in the shaft according to my service manual. But just how difficult is it to get the hub off? I assume this should only take a few hours to complete if all goes well.

I'd really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!

·
ʇsɐısnɥʇuƎ suı&
637 Posts
when i removed my axle i made sure to get some pb blaster and hit every bolt i was going to be removing. considering your truck is in az those should come off easy. the next hard thing can be popping the hub off. in the tech articles for 94-98 2nd gen theres an article on removing the hub... good luck

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
its only a couple hour job, not too bad

basically pull the hub off the knuckle, pull the outer shaft, pop out the oil seal, slide out the inner shaft (theirs no retainers).

I would suggest replacing the needle bearing that supports the inner shaft (servicable through the CAD housing) and you will be light years ahead if you buy the proper seal installer as the seal is installed from inside the CAD housing and pulled out towards the knuckle. You can easily make a slide hammer and driver for the seal if you have the tools and supplies.

IIRC quad4x4 had a kit with the bearing, outer shaft support sleeve, seal and tools....

·
Registered
550 Posts
remove the tire, then the caliper, and that big nut on the end of the axle. then there are 4 bolts that hold the unit bearing onto the knuckle. remove them bolts, and the brake disk and hub and bearing all come off the axle shaft. then pull the outter shaft out, and then dig the inner shaft out through the CAD opening, then slide it out the end too. careful not to ding the seal or else you have to change it. also while the unit bearings are out, check em if theyre screwed or "dry" sounding. mine sounded dry so i got my grease gun needle and stuck it in the outer bearing all the way through into the inner bearing and greased its brains out, then pulled it out some and greased the other bearings brains out. made it a bit stiffer and quieter. i cant imagine this would hurt the bearing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Splines ground down on inner front shaft

Thanks Guys for the tips.

I found a new replacement shaft online for about $160. Going to order it in a few days. That may explain how the PO blew the rear end on it before he traded it in. That big motor and the ATS tranny...something has to give I guess.

I'll look up the posts on removing the hub to see what kind of fun I'm in for.

I'll follow up with my progress.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Got the Shaft-picture

Here's a quick picture of the damaged shaft. Ouch!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
you can knock out the seal and bearing
install a regular inner seal beside the diff like on the drivers side and replace the 2 piece axle with one from a 2001 which is 1 piece

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
you can knock out the seal and bearing
install a regular inner seal beside the diff like on the drivers side and replace the 2 piece axle with one from a 2001 which is 1 piece
great idea if you like rebuilding your front driveshaft all the time and killing your mileage :doh:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I haven't seen much difference in the maintenance between the two models
all 3/4 tons since have had the same setup no disconnect

·
Registered
216 Posts
There's four bolts on the back side of the hub. Unscrew them a little bit then find something to wedge between the bolt and something else solid. Now have someone turn the steering wheel using the hydraulic pressure of the steering pump to push on the bolt. Work your way around so you don't get it to cocked on there push it off evenly as possible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

Thanks for the tech tips all! That should help a ton.

Inner Shaft/collar and bushing are ordered...just have to wait for them now.

I'll let you know my progress as I dig into it.

Hopefully that will be the last surprise in my 4x4 woes!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Make sure you get a tool for installing that seal. I tried a socket on a large piece of all thread, a block of oak turned to the od of the seal and a cheapie seal driver kit from harbor freight. I ended up having to turn some aluminum stock to get the job done. At around $10 a pop for the seal, throwing 3 away sucks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually, I was hoping that I wouldn't damage the seal during dis-assembly.

I'm just replacing the collar (since the inner shaft gears were stripped, figured this probably doesn't look so good on the inside either) and the Axle Bushing the Differential Output Shaft rotates in.

According to the guys at Quad 4x4, the Axle Bushing is a very common part to wear out because the matching Differential Output Shaft rotates in the opposite direction in 4x2 mode effectively doubling the speed difference between the two shafts.

This bushing fits inside the inner end of the CAD side inner axle shaft. It is the only direct support for the CAD to Hub axle shaft assembly besides the wheel hub itself.

So I thought I would replace it while I'm in there.

Hopefully I won't trash the bearing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, here it goes. I received the inner axle and other parts. A friend let me use his BF3/4 impact gun and 1-11/16 socket. Made quick work at loosening that axle nut.

Snugged the nut back up to hold the bearing together as you guys suggested.

Now on to the caliper and hub removal. I'll let you know my progress as I go.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Happy days

This is pretty cool. Couldn't get the rotor off, so I decided to go to the next step...removing the hub.

When I loosened the 4 bolts on the back of the hub...the hub loosened right up as if I just had it off yesterday.

Took the 4 bolts off and with out any effort at all, the rotor and inner hub slipped right out as one piece. Freaky. Must have been serviced by the PO not too long ago.

On to the axle removal...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally have 4X4 on my Truck

WhooHoo!!!! Got everything back together.

And for the first time, I have four-wheel drive on my truck since I purchased it back in July.

Still a little intrigued by how nice that hub came off. Must have had anti-seize on it already.

Thanks again all for your help and suggestions. Helped a ton.

Time to go have some fun!

Attachments

Reactions: jserman35
1 - 17 of 17 Posts