Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm trying to replace spinning ignition tumbler with the key broke off in it. I've searched hours and different forums looking to take it out. I found some on dtr but it says to just remove torx 20 and remove column all well in good if I had even 1 screw on my column to remove. I have a stick the plastic part around the switch won't come off due to the lock being inside it. I pulled steering wheel and two plastic pieces and came to a gear on the shaft and still couldnt see where to get that dang thing out. Please help a fella out.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
The screw holes are on the bottom side of the column covers. Then the lock cylinder is held in by one screw.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By bottom I'm guessing you mean closest to the dash?

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
NO

Run your hand under the covers up by the steering wheel. You will feel round holes in the bottom covers. Those holes have screw hidden in them. It is a #20 torx screw. After the screws are removed. Then there are internal plastic clips you have to pull apart to seperate the covers.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This must be a different column there are no holes whatsoever on the plastic pieces it's a solid plastic cylinder.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a non tilt steering that might be the difference.

·
Registered
375 Posts
This must be a different column there are no holes whatsoever on the plastic pieces it's a solid plastic cylinder.
BC 03 on the key cylinder there is a small pin that you push in and if memory serves me turn the cylinder and pull it out. Or you just pull the key needs to be in the cylinder.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the new switch I tried pushing both of the buttons on it with key position in all spots they never mashed in. I can't believe noone has the same column I do that's removed a key cylinder. I've rebuilt cummins and trannys and never had this much trouble. I bought a manual today it doesn't show my column either. I could take a hammer to it but then I'd have trouble replacing that plastic part. I'll pull steering wheel back of to the gear and take some pictures on Saturday of the column and inside the wheel. Maybe somebody will see something me and 4 of my buddies don't.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BC 03 on the key cylinder there is a small pin that you push in and if memory serves me turn the cylinder and pull it out. Or you just pull the key needs to be in the cylinder.
Ok I found the spot in the manual that states what you are saying on the pen depress. When I had steering wheel off I seen this and mashed it with screw driver it didn't budge. Also my new one I have in hand I can't get it to push in. I'm goin to take a punch and hammer and knock the crap out of it on Saturday hope that works. I'll let ya know.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i had the same problem. had to replace both the lock cylinder and the ignition switch at the same time.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
BC your right non tilt does make a difference. I was giving direction for a tilt column. Sorry

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
10-4 no problem this lock is just aggravating me.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
I haven't pulled a cylinder in with your style column. All the pin release type of switches I have delt with. You have the key in the off position. Push the pin in with a paper clip. Then turn to accessary position to release the cylinder.

Give that a try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts