Cummins Diesel Forum banner

fried pcm

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  ksmit724 
#1 ·
My dealer tells me I have a fried pcm. Anybody ever have this happen. Dont want to pay $2000 for a new one.

#6 ·
PCM Powertrain Control module, mounted on firewall on the passenger side. Controls transmission. Better bet would be to go with BG/ MHP to get an aftermarket tuned Pcm. MUCH cheaper than the $2k (under $1k) from the dealer, and MUCH better than the stock tuning.

check out the performance section, lots of threads in there about the upgraded pcm.

jeff.

#7 ·
are you sure they aren't talking about a TIPM? there have been many TIPM failures and most are pretty well documented back to too many chicken lights or improperly wired accessories.

#9 ·
yeah, some dealers absolutely RAPE people on parts, there is a guy on here that needed an oil pan, yeah an oil pan, $1250 was the dealers list price for it. Even with my discount it was $790, I think the TIPM could easily be that cost.

To the OP, what were the symptoms of the failure? No start? No Drive? CEL's?

Reactions: aceracer24
#11 ·
I know that when MHP did my TCM tune I got to keep my original for a very low charge. Under $300. So it is probably not the TCM but some other sparky part.

#13 ·
yeah, that's going to be spendy. Make sure if the dealer has a way of retrieving the injector numbers they do so before they remove the ECM or they will be stuck tearing the top half of the engine apart to get the numbers and charging you every step of the way.

#18 ·
KSmit

I think that some dealers will tell you your programers are to blame because they know nothing about them. The great unknown to them is a catch all for the industry. I have unplugged and plugged mine many time's with out having it unplugged under the hood and not had a problem. Mine is not the race but I am getting ready to install the race unit that I just perched. I know that's not saying I could not have a problem but just saying.

#19 ·
You can get a replacement from Cummins for about 1k. The only catch is Dodge has to program it. I dont know what they charge to do it either. I priced a used one through my parts supplier for about 500 bucks. You may want to contact Smarty or H&S. It may be a long shot but with all the tuning and tricks they have there might be a chance that they can flash your ecm for you.

#20 ·
It's either specific to the edge race or a freak occurence. I've had my regular edge juice unplugged from the OBD port by the dealership several times without disconnecting power under the hood and no ill effects.

#22 ·
Spoke with edge and h&s. They both say it is probably not ECM. Edge says engineering team will look into problem. They are going to try and find returned product and unplug it to see what could be going on. Will see what happens. Casey at H&s said would be too tough of an issue to solve over the phone. Anyone ever heard their truck give off a siren sound with a beep every so often from under the hood. H&s hasn't. Edge hasn't. Dealership hasn't though they witnessed it do it. Maybe I'll start a thread about this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.