Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was headed to work this morning and blew a freeze plug, it blew completly out. It's located on the pass. side below the turbo on the block. Where is the best place to find one? The dealership says $8.50 each and a week to get them. That's pure thievery.
Thanks, AL

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried NAPA, Orielly's, Advance, Autozone, and Carquest, none of them have the right one, the one they list for the block is way to small. The one that's blown out is just over 2 1/4", NAPA had one that was 2 1/4" and it was snug but I could remove it by hand. I'll keep searching.
Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found them at Cummins, just have to ride 1 1/2 hours to get them after work today.
Al

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
What exactly causes a freeze plug to pop out?

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,905 Posts
revving too hard with T-stat closed, over revving, that kind of think in general. Getting too hot can do it too

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine was corroded very bad. I'm going to flush the cooling system and check all the grounds on the truck to make sure no electrolysis is happening. What antifreeze is recommended for the Cummins?
Thanks, Al

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
What antifreeze is recommended for the Cummins?
Red or green.
Don't think I've seen any brand that didn't say Cummins approved on it.
Last time I used some on sale at Napa that was called Turbo-Charged.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I just got home from work, now to get my truck home.
Thanks to everyone, Al

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok got the freeze plugs on the pass. side of the block changed, I went ahead and changed them all after looking at the 1 that blew out and it was a good thing that I did. When I removed the other 2 they were as corroded as the one that blew. I flushed and back flushed the radiator and the block for a good 15 min., pure rust. I did the thermostat while I was at it and found itwas stuck about an 1/8" open and dipping it in boiling water it never budged. I guess it was a good thing it decided to stick when the truck was at low rpm's on a back road than at 70 on the interstate. After all the work the truck runs cooler, it fluctuates on the low side of 190*, before it would be between 190* and just under the high side white line.
Al

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
You should check if you're getting electrolysis from an electrical short.
It will cause corrosion like crazy. Usually caused by poor aftermarket wiring or accident damage.
Take a voltmeter that measures less than one volt and measure the voltage between the coolant and ground. If you see any voltage at all you have a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I saw on Comp D. Performance diesel warehouse released there freeze plugs for 12's all 6 for 199.00 shipped it says. Call them for em. The back plug has a bypass in it or dead plug. Wont have to ever worry about blowing freeze plugs again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.