Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The truck in question is an 06 Mega Cab. When I bought it I did some research and found it had been wrecked hard a couple times, but everything was ridiculously straight and true. Upon further research, I find that my truck has been pieced together from multiple vehicles.

Whoever did the work, did a pretty decent job. Theres two main things that I need to address:

The truck has a 5.9 Cummins in it and is vinned/tagged to be a 3500. Although the chassis is clearly from a 2500 hemi truck.

1. This truck has a 10.5 AAM rear axle. I use it to tow my 11,700 GVWR fifth wheel, and family. I don’t mind the 2500 rear springs for unloaded ride, I’ve added airbags to assist. Would that 10.5 rear end hold up to towing that weight long distances, and possibly more? I’d like to tow doubles locally with a golf cart on a flat trailer.

2. The only thing I’ve seen that was done questionably was the motor mounts. It looks like they were cut off of the old chassis and welded into the new. It’s all solid, but the engine hangs low and actually sits ever so slightly on the crossmember under the oil pan, obviously creating a vibration. I have a new pan to replace it, but would like to know how close it should be, so I can cut the mounts out and adjust accordingly.

besides that, everything works perfectly. I love this truck compared to my last tow rig. Modded 7.3 powerstroke.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the axle at all. 10.5" AAM is quite similar to the venerable 14 bolt GM corporate axle and both are rated IIRC for 8600lbs?
You'd have to be pushing a 5klb pin weight before you were getting into the upper end of that axle's capacity.

·
Registered
960 Posts
For the cross brace to oil pan height, if someone doesn't know before hand, I can get my caliper out later tonight and measure it.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any time, I won’t be doing that work until the fall. Thanks nosympathy.
Grit dog, thanks for the info. I’m only pushing 2000max pin weight plus payload. I was more concerned about temps or the ability to tow the 11,700 plus about 2k behind that also. I figured there would be more of a reason to upgrade to the 11.5 for the diesel setup.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Well, didn't realize my caliper doesn't remotely fit in there lol. Being determined best I could get was that my flip light fits in the gap with but a hair to spare. Flip light is 7mm thick, so looks like the gap is probably about 8mm.

Reactions: Overspray

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for checking! That’s pretty damn close, but much further than I have in there. Should be interesting holding the motor up and doing the work. There’s room though, but worst case is I pull the engine... then what to tackle internally while it’s out haha

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Thanks for checking! That’s pretty damn close, but much further than I have in there. Should be interesting holding the motor up and doing the work. There’s room though, but worst case is I pull the engine... then what to tackle internally while it’s out haha
Re: pan clearance. Is there any chance you have motor mounts that are failed or failing? As no sympathy found on his truck only 8mm clearance, that doesn’t leave much room for motor mount sag or failure. Have a look at some new ones and compare them before you start rebuilding the frame. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also a good idea. I haven’t checked yet but I will. I couldn’t really find any info about failing motor mounts causing the pan to rest on the chassis. They look fine but I suppose I could get new and install first. Sort of figured I’d do that anyways when doing all of that work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts