Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Frame Rail Idea

784 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  TruckerBZ
Guys,

I love the idea of mounting accessories to the frame rail, hate drilling holes in the frame.

What I want to do is get a piece of steel say 3/8" thick, about 3' long and as tall as one of the frame rails and bolt the sucker to the frame rail using some of the existing holes already there. Just drill the plate to line up with some existing holes and run some grade 8 hardware through to secure it.

At this point, I can tap the plate, weld tabs, drill holes and not mess up my frame.

I really cannot see many negatives to this approach...

Thoughts??? :confused013:
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
304 Posts
i wouldnt see why you couldnt do that if anything it will make the frame stronger

· Registered
630 Posts
Guys,

I love the idea of mounting accessories to the frame rail, hate drilling holes in the frame.

What I want to do is get a piece of steel say 3/8" thick, about 3' long and as tall as one of the frame rails and bolt the sucker to the frame rail using some of the existing holes already there. Just drill the plate to line up with some existing holes and run some grade 8 hardware through to secure it.

At this point, I can tap the plate, weld tabs, drill holes and not mess up my frame.

I really cannot see many negatives to this approach...

Thoughts??? :confused013:
make legs so it stands off the frame so you can Nut and bolt stuff to the plate and you can drill holes in it without worrying about hitting the frame rail

· Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
make legs so it stands off the frame so you can Nut and bolt stuff to the plate and you can drill holes in it without worrying about hitting the frame rail
Great idea, maybe thick rubber washers to isolate / space it from the frame rail.

As for the grade 8 hardware being overkill... :thumbsup:

· Registered
630 Posts
Great idea, maybe thick rubber washers to isolate / space it from the frame rail.

As for the grade 8 hardware being overkill... :thumbsup:
better overkill then broke i guess, post some pics when you make it. its a great idea. you can do all your measuring and drilling on your work bench rather then under the truck.
only overkill if you think it is

· Registered
638 Posts
it honestly is haha! no vibration or impact (lets hope!), but it really doesnt cost that muche more for grade 8, and theres times were i regretted not getting grade 8 stuff, and thats when sh*t starts getting hazardous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.