Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a Fram fuel filter? I was wondering if different filters have an affect on fuel pressure?

·
Registered
370 Posts
fram filters

from my own personal experience ONLY!
i would never use a fram filter, fuel, oil, or air, unless it was the only one around and then i would change it as soon as i could get another one. Wix makes a darn good filter and thats about all i ever want to use in my rolling stock. wix also makes napa and carquest filters, and i suspect some others as well. this is not to say that other brands like baldwin, luberfiner, etc are not good filters.
try this: cut open a fram filter and the compare it to an equivalent wix and you will see frams cheap construction and small filtration area.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i was thinking maybe i didnt answer your question completly, sorry bout that.
pressure drop from inlet to outlet side is usually a function of how much crud the filter had picked up, causing restriction thru the filter media. some filter media made for, say, light oil, will plug up with a small amount of water as well. the problem with fram filters is usually the small amount of surface area of the filter media, mostly some paper and linen fiber blend. better quality filters usually have a larger surface area of filter media, making them less prone to plugging and pressure drop.
my experience with filters comes from industrial applications and i dont see many fram filters in my trade. theres a reason for that!

·
Registered
708 Posts
junk,........ buy a Dodge, NAPA, or Wix

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks. I just put in a new lift pump and I'm only getting 7 psi max on my new Stewart Warner mechanical fuel psi guage. So I was wondering if maybe the 2 stroke oil in my fuel may have an effect on the filter. Then i pulled the filter and started it up and there was no appreciable gain in PSI so scratch that idea. What do you guys see for PSI with the factory set up? I will probably have to add a second pump.

·
Registered
370 Posts
filters and pressure drop

my stock pump, before i replaced it, was less than 5 psi. that little pressure spells death for a injection pump. according to the guys i talk to and the juice on the site here, 10 psi is about the minimum pressure you need. you probly want to consider using a better quality pump than stock.
i just put in a new ip and lp in the last 30 days. since my stocker wasnt up to snuff i bit the bullet and went for a fass :thumbsuppump. airdog makes a good one also and i am sure there are others around as well. check the fuel pump threads here and see what the other guys are using.
these pumps are a bit pricey but well worth it if it keeps you from buying another ip due to fuel (lubricant for the ip) starvation...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use only Carquest (WIX) oil and fuel filters on my '07. Carquest offers "XE" (extra efficiency) versions of both filters. These have glass and paper media that filter to smaller microns than oem specs without hurting flow!

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
I wouldn't mess aruond with junk filters... I stick to Fleetguard only...

As soon as the AirDog Filters get changed I will replace it will Fleetguard filters.

2 Micron fuel filter and pre-filter and water separator...:thumbsup

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what about the BD auxillary fuel pump kit?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
what about the BD auxillary fuel pump kit?
Not sure about BD... But I would see if you could get 2 micron filters for what ever your using. I never had a problem with Fleetguard filters...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts