Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fram and axles QC vs MC

1229 Views 23 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  HOD-ISB
are the frames and axles the same on the quad cab vs the mega cab?

say both 2006 DRW trucks everything the same except quad vs mega and long vs short bed

Ya thats suspose to say Frame not fram
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
4,266 Posts
I would think that maybe the body mount locations might be different, dont know for sure though.

· Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am just trying to figure out how in the hell dodge rates my truck 2,000 lbs LESS than the quad cab.

same frame
same axle
both have duals
??????????????????

· Registered
700 Posts
more cab, less bed in the mega. cab pieces i'm sure weigh more. 2,000lbs worth, I dunno but Im sure there is much more cab weight on our trucks than the quad cabs

· Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not that much and still that would just eat up your payload.

my GVW 10,500
QC is like 12,400 or something

· Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anyone have any ideas or facts from dodge?

· Registered
89 Posts
I know for a fact that the Frame, axles, and suspension are all the same on both trucks. the cab mounts and bed mounts will differ in location, but that is all. In fact, the only difference between 3/4 ton and 1 ton, is a set of overload springs on the rear and a badge on the door.. The main rear leaf packs are even the same. Put a set of air bags on the rear suspension and you're better off that the stock 1 ton.

· Registered
700 Posts
OP is wondering more along the lines of why they would have different GVW ratings if they are so much the same.

· Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there is not much diff in GVW on SRW trucks the overloads add a little bit but thats it. its the DRW that matters.

on the 3500 leaf spring pack some have 3 and some have 4 in the pack.

· Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya its total crap to me.

i dont think ill ever have any probs i just want to know why.

out of all the ppl on here someone has to know somebody at dodge that can give us an answer.

· Registered
700 Posts
Just a thought, because I am wondering why the big difference, too. Could it have anything to do with the bed sized on the DRW? As in, you can't mount (or dodge assumes) a 5th wheel or GN hitch as far forward in a Mega as you can in a QC? Maybe something having to do with too much weight so far back on the truck that it takes off too much weight on the front hindering stopping distances???

I dunno really, just thinking

· Registered
296 Posts
Maybe something having to do with too much weight so far back on the truck that it takes off too much weight on the front hindering stopping distances???

I dunno really, just thinking
Ding ding we have a winner! :thumbsup: As stated above the drive line, body mounts, and suspension are the same between the mega and the quad cab lb. The cab on the mega is roughly 18-20" longer and weights roughly 4-500 hundred pounds more IIRC. The reason for such a discrepancy between the payloads is the possible load placement in relation to the front and rear axles. With that long mega cab it is very hard to place much weight on the front axle. I'm sure it is all a safety thing as far as dodge is concerned.

· Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the GN or 5th wheel hitch is going to be in the same place on a LB or SB truck. only thing that has to do with that is on a SB just closer to hitting th cab with trailer.

· Registered
700 Posts
the GN or 5th wheel hitch is going to be in the same place on a LB or SB truck. only thing that has to do with that is on a SB just closer to hitting th cab with trailer.
Isnt that a reason why some people would consider mounting them further back, instead of getting a slider or trying to watch there cab corners when turing sharp.

Guy I was gonna but a GN from told me if I wanted to they could mount it forward enough, but they dont like to because people come back with messed up cabs.

· Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
different brands mount in diff places but only inches. for ex i got a draw tite(same as hidden hitch and reese) instead of a B&W on my quad cab bc the B&W was a few inches closer to the cab. that was the turn over ball kind.

no if u r putting in a plate or the kind that the ball just lays down and u cut a big square in the bed i guess u could put it where u want if u r going to weld the under pieces to the frame.

but im not talking about the homemade DIY GN im talking about the ones u buy for your type of truck.

· Registered
296 Posts
That is absolutely true. I must have misunderstood I thought you were asking about payload. :eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.