Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a tranny service and found this in the pan. Trans works fine, shifts good and never gets hot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT QCSB
196 Posts
Piece of a snap ring. I had a broken one in mine as well, it was the one that holds the overdrive clutches into its housing, I believe that's the most common one to break as it gets impacted whenever you go into overdrive. It's a ticking time bomb, the piece that's left will hold for a while but eventually it'll probably break too, the piece that was still left on mine was broken into about 3 pieces and barely holding.

Perhaps others can speak to how likely it is to be this particular ring, but I know it was on mine, and in my opinion you'd be served well to pull off the tail housing and service it asap.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
983 Posts

If you wanted to tackle this your self . Video shows where the snap ring that breaks is and how to get to it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
817 Posts
@zwilmes is correct. You need a rebuild and soon. Had the same size piece in the pan of my 06. My only symptom of a problem was it would occasionally "hunt" between 3 and 4 under low throttle on inclines. When I disassembled the trans the ring was actually in 3 pieces and had been chewing at the case for a while. The groove it sits in was all marred up and I had to to some hand working to clean it up. I had the benefit of a buddy helping me who knows the 48's really well so it only cost me parts for a rebuild which was in the neighborhood of $700. I did a slightly better than stock rebuild.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I don't see how a broken snap ring in the o/d section could find its way into the pan , I would get it out before damaging any hard parts if it hasn't already , good luck

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
It's common. cascade transmissions has the parts you need. takes about 30 min to remove drivelines, t-case, and tail housing. really not hard to do at all. you'll need a press. then put it back the exact way it came apart. make sure the thrust bearing is facing the correct way.
An honest shop should be able to handle this for very cheep. all told i could do this in a few hours and i'm fat!!!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I don't see how a broken snap ring in the o/d section could find its way into the pan.
It happens all the time. It still amazes me how many "builders" don't replace this snap ring unless it's broken. Crazy...

·
Registered
817 Posts
This is what came out of mine upon full disassembly not including the piece in the pan.

I went thru Cascade transmission for most of my parts as well. This was about 4 years ago so I don't remember what all I got.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
This is what came out of mine upon full disassembly not including the piece in the pan.

I went thru Cascade transmission for most of my parts as well. This was about 4 years ago so I don't remember what all I got.

This one is the OD brake wavy snap ring. Those very rarely break, but it is possible (obviously). Any transmission parts supplier will carry these snap rings; Transtar, PDQ, WIT, Natpro, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts