Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Found a Capless Fuel Cap

7877 19
Hey All... Not sure if this has been posted before but I found this for the capless fuel filler.

'13-'14 RAM Cummins Capless Fuel Filler Dust Cap-Geno's Garage
Reactions: tjfudge
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Info posted many times and still a good choice. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Or a Fernco cap for $3.00

·
Registered
15 Posts
Find ya a Field Service Mechanic (CAT) and they will have a whole box of "caps". used for pluging up Hyd hoses when dissembled. Blue in color. FREE

·
Registered
156 Posts
HTML:

HTML:
Okay went to Lowes and this exact one here is the problem I found, the gas door doesn't close or seal as it does without the cover. I trimmed the cap down and still not sealing the door, this will diffinately be a problem. Did I miss something, did you have to modify this and does your had door close tight? :confused013:

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you look inside the new rubber cap you will see protruded ribs at different depths. Cut down to last one.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A old hydraulic hose cap works well too

·
Registered
11 Posts
What I mean is - isn't this fuel system supposed to be vented also? like the 2012 and earlier?
I don't believe new vehicles are allowed to vent fuel vapor any longer.
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain there is a vapor recovery system on all newer vehicles. No more vented caps (or caps at all as is the case here).

Anyone care to back this up or set me straight?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain there is a vapor recovery system on all newer vehicles. No more vented caps (or caps at all as is the case here).

When the check engine light was coming on in my 2011 megacab (almost monthly), my service rep told me to open the fuel cap to vent the system - the next day the light would go off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The vented caps weren't to vent fuel vapor to atmosphere, they were to allow air in to the system to keep the tank at atmospheric pressure as fuel was removed. That said, I have no idea whether the Ram vents through the filler neck, or through a separate mechanism and mine isn't here yet to look at.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

That is true for gasoline - diesel is far less volatile, so the vent systems tend to be far more open.

- Tim

·
Registered
75 Posts
It doesn't matter because there is no way to create an airtight seal on this filler. The v cut in the front prevents it no matter what cap you put on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Disregard, looking at the picture above and looking at my filler again it appears a piece is broken off of mine. Been that way since new so I thought that was how it was supposed to be but on closer inspection it is clearly a broken off section. See picture. Water Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel Automotive tire

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.