Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i came across a good deal on a 2003 quad cab 3500 4x4 auto. is there any known problems that i should look for? thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine Is A 03 3500 Quad Cab And Ran Good Until About 3 Wks Ago . I Beleive Its Time For Injector Replacement Not Bad Since It Has 196000 Miles And Is Not A Loffer Its Always Hooked To Something

·
Registered
278 Posts
90,000 miles on mine.. no problems! Get rid of the stock lift pump though! (bound to fail apparently)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what lift pump does everyone like? i know the airdog 150's or 165's are popular on my 6.7l that i have now, is that the same for this 5.9 as well? thanks

·
Vendor
2,548 Posts
Airdog 150 or Fass 150 if you're planning to do mods but not go crazy with it and want a new filtration system and lift pump. People tend to love them because they are good filters and air/water separators.

As far as just lift pumps go, a lot of people use Raptor 150 with 2 micron filters in line and a 5 micron in the stock canister. This is best for ease of installation but does not include filters/air/water separation.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how much modding will the tranny hold up too? and what is the stock hp and torque rating for this truck?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HP will be one of the following: 235 CA, 250 SO, 305 HO ?? are those letters in the vin? and they verify what hp it is? thanks

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
HP will be one of the following: 235 CA, 250 SO, 305 HO. I don't have the torque figures handy at the moment. Later!
The 305hp is rated at 555tq (triple nickel). It will make make about 260hp at the wheels stock.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
anyone recommend a tuner for the truck? mainly looking for mpg increase but more power never hurt :lol4: also since the trucks can be rated for different hp will adding a tuner to it make the power level up to the same hp rating whether it starts out with 260 or 305hp. did that make any sense? what kind of milage do these trucks get on average with a tuner? which trans is better 47 or 48 ?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I thought VIN "6" or "C" was S.O. or H.O., guess it's the tranny package too. I thought the H.O. motor was only available on '03's with the NV5600 6 speed, is that wrong? The tuner won't bring a 260 hp motor up to a 305, if I am understanding you correctly. Just to clarify, are you asking if you take, lets say, a 100hp chip and add it. Now, if its on the 260, then it would yield 360. On the 305, it should yield 405, at least in theory. are you asking whether it will make the 260 up to 305, then add the 100 extra hp? Also, good tuner for the '03 would be a smarty for all around performance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I thought VIN "6" or "C" was S.O. or H.O., guess it's the tranny package too. I thought the H.O. motor was only available on '03's with the NV5600 6 speed, is that wrong? The tuner won't bring a 260 hp motor up to a 305, if I am understanding you correctly. Just to clarify, are you asking if you take, lets say, a 100hp chip and add it. Now, if its on the 260, then it would yield 360. On the 305, it should yield 405, at least in theory. are you asking whether it will make the 260 up to 305, then add the 100 extra hp? Also, good tuner for the '03 would be a smarty for all around performance.
You may be correct on the VIN designation but, I coulda swore I got that info directly from the Goerend website. Later!

·
Registered
642 Posts
"On the 2003 models, check the 8th digit on the VIN #. If it is a C, then the transmission is a HO48RE. If the digit is a 6, then the transmission is a 47RE."
Looks like we both win this one! It is off of Sun Coast's site

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.