Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all - (This is a long one)

I am a former 12V guy who is looking into getting back in the game. I want to get a CTD and put a slide in camper in it and pull one of my Jeeps around. I've been shying away from the electronics because I don't like the idea of people messing with things they may not understand(Have to break out tools to mess with the 12V), but I was recently approached by an acquaintance about his 2006 2500 5.9HO 48RE QC LB Laramie with 235K.

He is the original owner, owned by his business, and used as a daily driver. He mainly hauls around 55 gallon drums of oil for his business, but keeps it in top shape because he occasionally travels around the country pulling a smaller boat (not exactly sure on size). It is in impeccable shape for living in the midwest, with only some bubbles over one of the rear arches. He begrudgingly put the pocket flares on a year or two ago. It is fully loaded, with heated seats, leather, power slider, sunroof, and infinity/nav.

He is a meticulous owner, and upgraded rather than replaced each time. Short list of important stuff I can think of off the top of my head:

Bilsteins all the way around
Mopar HD steering box (said it was a later release)
Moog front end rebuild
Banks air box
Banks exhaust
Diablosport tuner (says it stays in economy/mild, I believe him)
One piece rear driveshaft
Power Stop Brakes and Rotors all the way around
Blend doors were replaced with a metal kit (never heard of this)
Cat deleted
Synthetic oils in every component
Fuel improver added with each tank
Washed once a week
Detailed once a month
Seat Covers have been on since new

Other things he mentions is that he had to do a coolant change, so he preemptively changed the water pump. Same with alternator and batteries (they were just older than he would like). He's taken care of about everything, and is very open with things that need attention. He said the blend door actuators are out again, but he gave up after spending nearly 2k on the doors and install and now just manually moves the doors for the season at hand and unplugs them.

With all of this said, at 235K, hes still got the stock unmolested trans, the stock unmolested fuel system, including the injectors. While I believe this is not unheard of, am I right to be a little worried about the trans/injectors? He seems like a really straightforward guy who babied this truck, but I know all things have their wear point.

I also wanted to ask what you all think would be a good/fair price for the truck. Should I be holding some money back for repairs? Other than blow-by, anything else I need to be concerned with on this 2006? I am a fleet tech by trade, but I always value the input of the forums for fine-tooth comb stuff that is easy to glaze over, especially since I've been focused on the 12V.

Images below:

Thank you for the input in advance - I really want to be fair with pricing and what I should expect/look for.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like I'll be taking it for a test drive tomorrow evening.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Can't see the pictures, but yes lift pump, injectors and trans will be sooner than later to need replacement, 13 to 18k would be my guess without seeing it

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Also make sure it can handle the payload you want of a slide in plus a bumper tow trailer.

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,948 Posts
TS nailed it. If you want a slide in camper, and a Jeep on a trailer, you are into 3500 territory, and frankly, dually would be the proper way to go, although I do it with a srw. My camper is 2700 lbs dry, and 4Runner on the trailer is 4800 lbs +/-. If you don’t have a camper yet, buy the LIGHTEST one you can find. Period. If you end up with the 2500, flat towing the Jeep would be best as you will way overload your rear axle with a trailer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts