Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE NO ONE THINK THAT I AM :bdh: here but after tearing into a Ford 6leaker psd turbo last night it is making me second guess me taking my silencer ring out of my turbo. I noticed that the Ford turbo has almost the same type thing but it is actually casted into the housing, and not held in place by a snap ring. that almost makes me think that maybe i should put minw back on :confused013:

I know that this topic has been drug thru the dirt several times but i was wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
Why would you put it back in just because a Ford has it made into the turbo? Taking out the silencer ring has no effect on performance, just makes the turbo spool louder.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you put it back in just because a Ford has it made into the turbo? Taking out the silencer ring has no effect on performance, just makes the turbo spool louder.
i wouldnt put it back in just because Ford has made it into the turbo, but i would consider putting it back in because Garrett makes it into the Turbo.

That is why i started this thread, because I am unsure. I for sure would not do something to my cummins that ford does, because obviously they dont know what in the world they are doing when it comes to a diesel.:lol4:

I usually dont even read the threads that have to do with this because it turns into a he said she said thing.

I am only looking for a little input on what i found.

·
Rescue Tower
10,811 Posts
Why not consider it personal preference and leave it at that.

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
i wouldnt put it back in just because Ford has made it into the turbo, but i would consider putting it back in because Garrett makes it into the Turbo.

That is why i started this thread, because I am unsure. I for sure would not do something to my cummins that ford does, because obviously they dont know what in the world they are doing when it comes to a diesel.:lol4:

I usually dont even read the threads that have to do with this because it turns into a he said she said thing.

I am only looking for a little input on what i found.
Well there really isn't any other way to have it besides having the silencer ring in, or taking it out. The ring just quiets the spooling, which I think was a request by Dodge? Cummins has stated it does nothing that affects the engine in any way besides sound... so yes it is a personal preference :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Yeah Cummins has stated it makes no difference. I think the only effect is maybe higher egt's because the noise you're hearing is turbulence in the turbo blades from the disrupted air flow. There has to be some minute ill effect from removing it if just from the turbulence created but I doubt it makes a noticeable difference either way.

·
Mule Barn Proprietor
10,673 Posts
Supposedly the best setup is to take it out and put in a TAG (turbo air guide).

BTW, 1st gen turbos didn't come with them. They were added simply for noise reduction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.