Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm converting my 91 to a DRW. I found a dually in the junk yard that I'm using on my truck. What I want to know is, will the rear brake cylinders work with the prop valve on the truck now. Also I need to change the shoes and hardware for the drum brakes but I don't know anything about fords. Also all I know about the truck this axle came off of was it was a 1980's ford ambulance. What F-series would these brakes come from or are most Dana 70 the same as far as brakes go.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
If it's a dana 70 they should be the same. I bought a dana 70 out of a 78 ford dually and the backing plates, drums and shoes are the same as my 92 dodge D250's. The hubs used a larger OD bearings and the hub seal is larger OD and ID. The dually had 35 spline axles. The shoes should be 3" x 12" the spring kit should be same as SRW.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It would almost certainly be an F350. I guess it could be what they used to call Super Duty (lite-duty-cab trucks with GVRW >10k). That would be before Ford started using that term for nearly all their trucks.

On a side note, what is the gear ratio on the dually axle?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm guessing the gear ratio is something like 3.55. That's from counting the amount of turns.

It has this stamped on the diff gear. There in no tin tag on the diff cover
10 2486 DANA D 39287 B8AN217 46 13 087

Reactions: irhunter

·
Registered
287 Posts
i'm guessing the gear ratio is something like 3.55. That's from counting the amount of turns.

It has this stamped on the diff gear. There in no tin tag on the diff cover
10 2486 dana d 39287 b8an217 46 13 087
46/13=3.538

Reactions: Dead Bunny

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks. Doesn't it seem like those are tall gears for a F350 dually? Maybe with the ambulance they realize gross weight will be just about the same as curb weight. No bed-full-of-sand.

·
Registered
287 Posts
my 91 dually has 3.55 and one we parted out had 3.55's as well

·
Registered
287 Posts
someone else will have to chime in. I don't know how common or uncommon it is

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Doesn't it seem like those are tall gears for a F350 dually? Maybe with the ambulance they realize gross weight will be just about the same as curb weight. No bed-full-of-sand.

I currently have a 3.07 so I guess a 3.538 is less taller.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Bunny,

I have 3.07, too. I was thinking, however, DRW trucks would generally come with less tall gear sets.

You have a dually with 3.07?

Roy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts