Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

· Registered
2,330 Posts
Yes, and Fords are every 250-300 miles.
Chevys will at a maximum regen once per 36 gallons of fuel.
Last year when the dealer replaced my injectors, the mechanic said that his truck and most he saw were an average of 300, so I’m doing pretty good.

I do think that a lot of Ram owners don't notice regens, so they think it regens less than it actually does.
Mine was set ti the DPF screen constantly so i saw every Regen message it ever did

· Registered
454 Posts
Just an opinion.
Things get really hot during a regen. And it seems to happen a lot as you round the corner to your destination. I have an Edge Evolution with a pyrometer to monitor all temps including EGT and regen cycles. Used to have an Edge Juice w/attitude until the screen craped out. I run a mild towing tune. But get a set up that works for you.
This is my truck. 2007.5 6.7 3500 SRW CC/LB. 130k miles. I can't force a regen with my setup.
I mostly use the truck to tow a good-sized 5th wheel, 15k. So, the truck is generally working and driving some longer distances and for hours. The engine is a 1100 lbs. heat sink. My Edge tells me when I am in Regen, sometimes I have to back off a little to keep EGT numbers down when in regen. Usually, a downshift to pump more air through the system and drop some speed.
Now to the point. I don't like to turn off my engine when it is hot from hard work, or when it is in a regen cycle. When you put it in park the regen shuts down, but it takes a while to cool. I have a turbo timer. I can turn the key off, walk away while the engine is running. It will shut itself off when my temps reach 400F. This will help cool everything off while fluids keep moving around. Most times if completes enough of the regen to not start again next time I drive. This is very helpful if my wife wants to get into a restaurant along the way. I don't have to wait by the truck for cool down.
I don't like to shut down a hot engine. It was drilled into me a long time ago.
Sold my last turbo diesel to a buddy, 315k miles and no turbo or transmission issues. I just used to let it idle for a minute before shutdown if I was running hard.

· Registered
2,330 Posts
Just an opinion.
Things get really hot during a regen. And it seems to happen a lot as you round the corner to your destination. I have an Edge Evolution with a pyrometer to monitor all temps including EGT and regen cycles. Used to have an Edge Juice w/attitude until the screen craped out. I run a mild towing tune. But get a set up that works for you.
This is my truck. 2007.5 6.7 3500 SRW CC/LB. 130k miles. I can't force a regen with my setup.
I mostly use the truck to tow a good-sized 5th wheel, 15k. So, the truck is generally working and driving some longer distances and for hours. The engine is a 1100 lbs. heat sink. My Edge tells me when I am in Regen, sometimes I have to back off a little to keep EGT numbers down when in regen. Usually, a downshift to pump more air through the system and drop some speed.
Now to the point. I don't like to turn off my engine when it is hot from hard work, or when it is in a regen cycle. When you put it in park the regen shuts down, but it takes a while to cool. I have a turbo timer. I can turn the key off, walk away while the engine is running. It will shut itself off when my temps reach 400F. This will help cool everything off while fluids keep moving around. Most times if completes enough of the regen to not start again next time I drive. This is very helpful if my wife wants to get into a restaurant along the way. I don't have to wait by the truck for cool down.
I don't like to shut down a hot engine. It was drilled into me a long time ago.
Sold my last turbo diesel to a buddy, 315k miles and no turbo or transmission issues. I just used to let it idle for a minute before shutdown if I was running hard.
It states that in the manual to allow cool down…

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I bought the Edge CTS3 to force manual regens and will probably want a way to monitor EGT's as well - was told that there are already EGT sensors on the factory trucks - is this true ? Would be damn cool if i can pair this with their tuner as well and get tunes for the truck. I was told by a few tuners so far that all the major manufactures have unlocked the ECM's on the bench and can provide me tunes that way - but they are finalizing the end/end user product so we don't have to send out ECM's for unlocking (Similar to what was done with L5P ECM's).

· Registered
558 Posts

· Registered
454 Posts
Never seen a forced regen option in the Edge menu. This conversation got me to get up and go out to my truck. No luck.

· Registered
558 Posts
Never seen a forced regen option in the Edge menu. This conversation got me to get up and go out to my truck. No luck.
Supposedly now available, under Diagnostics, with the latest update

Reactions: Livermorenick

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Call Edge.
Maybe worth a shot - i noticed there was an insight dodge/ram cummins upgrade for $240 when i was updating it - not sure if it was a scam within that app or if I may need it to get that functionality - also noticed on new macbooks their mac app doesn't work - works fine on a windows machine so i'll need to pick one of those up to keep with me on the road anyway.

· Registered
558 Posts
Call Edge.
Ha, ha! I did.

They confirmed the feature is now on the CTS3. Gave me explicit instructions that I followed three or four times. So far they can't make it appear.

They also confirmed that the CTS2 latest update makes it work on 2019+ vehicles. The same scenario, followed their instructions but it still won't work correctly on my 2020.

Any other sage suggestions?

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ha, ha! I did.

They confirmed the feature is now on the CTS3. Gave me explicit instructions that I followed three or four times. So far they can't make it appear.

They also confirmed that the CTS2 latest update makes it work on 2019+ vehicles. The same scenario, followed their instructions but it still won't work correctly on my 2020.

Any other sage suggestions?
Maybe we have to wait on another update ?

· Registered
558 Posts
Damn, if Edge can’t make their own product work, who can?
Hopefully, they can. I'm calling them again tomorrow to try and get it resolved.

Reactions: jwolfe11

· Registered
Horns Removed, Still identify as a RAM
11,359 Posts
Damn, if Edge can’t make their own product work, who can?
Gotta be an enthusiast around here that could get it to work…

· Registered
558 Posts
Hopefully, they can. I'm calling them again tomorrow to try and get it resolved.
I called Edge again today.
The bottom line is neither the CTS2 nor the CTS3 will do a regen, forced or otherwise on a Cummins 6.7.

So, while post #2 got us all excited and involved, post #2 is wrong regarding Cummins 6.7.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts