Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Forcing a Regen

2378 Views 59 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  2020Rax
Is there a way to force a regen on our trucks ? I've read that i'd need a cummins insite or a tunner to do so - which I wouldn't mind investing in. My problem is that I'll go on a long trip say 200+mi and the ECM will wait until I am near my destination (usually home) and then deciede it wants to go into regen once i get into my neighberhood :(. At the moment my DPF guage is showing around 40%. It already went into a regen prior on its own when I got around this level - but it didn't seem to kick in while I was out on the highway (for about 300 miles yesterday) I've had the truck for about 5 days or so and already racked up well over 1.5k miles (probably nothing by some peoples standards here). I asked about tuning options because I want the ability to be able to force a regen if I KNOW i will be on the road for 100's of miles and the DPF guage is showing close to 50% or so.
Reactions: mattswaggs
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Horns Removed, Still identify as a RAM
11,359 Posts
I get what the OP is wanting. It is better to do a regen during a long drive when the truck and exhaust are pretty hot. My Chevy seems to do the same thing, I could drive for hours, it does a regen as I’m pulling into the driveway. Would be nice to force a regen. The problem would be doing one before it’s needed. I used to average about 400 miles between regens. Lately I’ve been getting 650-700 miles between regens, as I only use the truck to tow now.

· Registered
11,359 Posts
Thats not much time between regens i was getting about 1200-1400miles between regens when my truck was to be equipped to do so

i guess Chevys regen almost 2X as much?
Yes, and Fords are every 250-300 miles.
Chevys will at a maximum regen once per 36 gallons of fuel.
Last year when the dealer replaced my injectors, the mechanic said that his truck and most he saw were an average of 300, so I’m doing pretty good.

I do think that a lot of Ram owners don't notice regens, so they think it regens less than it actually does.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dblr2

· Registered
11,359 Posts
Damn, if Edge can’t make their own product work, who can?
Gotta be an enthusiast around here that could get it to work…

· Registered
11,359 Posts
Yeah I figured as much - man we sure are lagging in terms of tuning options on these newer cummins trucks. Everyone was up in arms about the L5P's being locked out - and they seem to have all the toys now.
Have you seen how much it is to unlock and tune an L5P?

That’s why mine is stock.

· Registered
11,359 Posts
Yup $1500 - still cheaper than paying $2.5K + for a new ECM , and then almost $1k for a tune/service - not even including service or downtime. Now you can unlock an L5P without needing to send in your ECM.
The cheapest I found was $6,500. And I have searched extensively

· Registered
11,359 Posts
Can someone else write tunes on there or are you stuck with what’s on there? The only purpose for me to tune would be if I have emissions issues and cannot find replacement parts. But I guess at that point I should just scrap it.

I have no desire to tune my truck it runs too well as is. A year ago when I couldn’t get NOX sensors and wasn’t happy with my truck I wanted tuned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts