Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Forcing a Regen

2386 Views 59 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  2020Rax
Is there a way to force a regen on our trucks ? I've read that i'd need a cummins insite or a tunner to do so - which I wouldn't mind investing in. My problem is that I'll go on a long trip say 200+mi and the ECM will wait until I am near my destination (usually home) and then deciede it wants to go into regen once i get into my neighberhood :(. At the moment my DPF guage is showing around 40%. It already went into a regen prior on its own when I got around this level - but it didn't seem to kick in while I was out on the highway (for about 300 miles yesterday) I've had the truck for about 5 days or so and already racked up well over 1.5k miles (probably nothing by some peoples standards here). I asked about tuning options because I want the ability to be able to force a regen if I KNOW i will be on the road for 100's of miles and the DPF guage is showing close to 50% or so.
Reactions: mattswaggs
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A CTS2 or 3 can do a mobile regen and monitor all the vitals of the engine/trans.
Does this require the ability to write back to the ECM - if not I might pick this up - since no one is responding about '22 Tunes/monitors/guages.

FYI ...When you run hard th engine will not have to regain.

You only get them if you do short and cold runs. Even though you may see that gauge go up, during a good long run you can then watch it go down. The hold system gets so hat that what is called a "passive regeneration" takes place and the DPF is hot enough to clean itself.
I was hauling 1500lbs and was kinda getting on it every now and again - was told that using the exhaust brake also helps keep things in check on the emissions side (not sure if that is true)
With AlfaOBD, you can actually enable the “Manual DPF Regeneration” option in the BCM.

This will allow you to hold the > button on the steering wheel to initiate manual regeneration like the C&C trucks.
Awesome - I read up on this a while ago, does this require a security bypass gateway ? Since it will be writing to the BCM it sounds like it will and it won't effect/mess with the ECM - correct ?

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I get what the OP is wanting. It is better to do a regen during a long drive when the truck and exhaust are pretty hot. My Chevy seems to do the same thing, I could drive for hours, it does a regen as I’m pulling into the driveway. Would be nice to force a regen. The problem would be doing one before it’s needed. I used to average about 400 miles between regens. Lately I’ve been getting 650-700 miles between regens, as I only use the truck to tow now.
This is exactly what I want - if I know i have 50% build up - i want to force a regen if I am going on a long highway trip vs waiting for the system to want to kick one off while I am getting ready to park.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I bought the Edge CTS3 to force manual regens and will probably want a way to monitor EGT's as well - was told that there are already EGT sensors on the factory trucks - is this true ? Would be damn cool if i can pair this with their tuner as well and get tunes for the truck. I was told by a few tuners so far that all the major manufactures have unlocked the ECM's on the bench and can provide me tunes that way - but they are finalizing the end/end user product so we don't have to send out ECM's for unlocking (Similar to what was done with L5P ECM's).

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Call Edge.
Maybe worth a shot - i noticed there was an insight dodge/ram cummins upgrade for $240 when i was updating it - not sure if it was a scam within that app or if I may need it to get that functionality - also noticed on new macbooks their mac app doesn't work - works fine on a windows machine so i'll need to pick one of those up to keep with me on the road anyway.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ha, ha! I did.

They confirmed the feature is now on the CTS3. Gave me explicit instructions that I followed three or four times. So far they can't make it appear.

They also confirmed that the CTS2 latest update makes it work on 2019+ vehicles. The same scenario, followed their instructions but it still won't work correctly on my 2020.

Any other sage suggestions?
Maybe we have to wait on another update ?

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I called Edge again today.
The bottom line is neither the CTS2 nor the CTS3 will do a regen, forced or otherwise on a Cummins 6.7.

So, while post #2 got us all excited and involved, post #2 is wrong regarding Cummins 6.7.
Yeah I figured as much - man we sure are lagging in terms of tuning options on these newer cummins trucks. Everyone was up in arms about the L5P's being locked out - and they seem to have all the toys now.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I am curious if you have to buy that RAM/Cummins software upgrade they list when you plug your cts3 into the ignition app to get this functionality.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Can someone else write tunes on there or are you stuck with what’s on there? The only purpose for me to tune would be if I have emissions issues and cannot find replacement parts. But I guess at that point I should just scrap it.

I have no desire to tune my truck it runs too well as is. A year ago when I couldn’t get NOX sensors and wasn’t happy with my truck I wanted tuned.
I've been emailing tuners for quite a while - and I was told that most of them have a method for doing invehicle unlcoking now for L5P's - and they said the L5P ECM was a ***** to unlock. I was told that our 22+ Cummins ecm's are unlocked - but there have been changes to where calibrations are stored and tables aren't the same with the new update to these PCM's - was told not to worry by 3 vendors now and that is happening - but they are figuring out the new layout FWIW.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Edge has a new tuner that just came out that supports our trucks and can do a manual Regen.. There are 2 options one mobile app and one with the monitor. EZX Module and EZZ Insight CTS3 Kit. It shows that it will do a Manual Regen along with other things like turbo timer, tire size correction etc...
My Main Concern is will products like this void the warranty, ???

Here the features it says it can do in full.

Features:
  • 5 Power Levels Adjustable on-the-fly through steering wheel controls
  • Engine High Idle adjustable through steering wheel controls when in Park
  • User adjustable throttle booster settings in each power level via app (Economy, Drive, Sport, Performance, Extreme)
  • Tire Size Speedo Calibration via App (Up to 40" Tire Size)
  • Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors Enable/Disable, Warning On/Off, and Pressure Threshold adjust via app
  • Gear Ratio Calibration via App
  • Engine Coolant Protection Enable/Disable via app (Module adds no power until 120-degree ECT, backs down power at 240-degrees ECT)
  • Button Recall Enable/Disable via app - Remembers Tow/Haul and Exhaust Brake settings
  • Turbo Timer Setup and Enable/Disable via app - Once enable, feature will work on every engine shutoff cycle
  • Max Cruise set speed adjustable via app (Set max cruise speed at 40-97mph)
  • Fog Beams with High Beams Enable/Disable via app
  • Gear Display in Drive on factory display Enable/Disable via app
  • Manual DPF Regen via app
  • Read and clear ECM/TCM diagnostic codes via app
  • Check Emissions Readiness monitors via app
If you remove it before taking it into the dealer - no. Since it does not modify the ECM or ECM parameters - and they can't prove that you modified/tuned your truck. If you roll in there with it on - you can bet they will void your warranty before they even pull it into a bay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts